What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia wayside

In birds and blooms i happened to come across an article on the cobra lily. Look at the pictures of them growing wild.

Cobra lilys

Theres a whole sea of them... thank for showwing this article, now im going to burn in envy of the plants I cant cultivate because of the winter temperatures of new york....
smile_h_32.gif
oh and btw.. my uncle in idaho (who flew in for surgery) says he has seen them before hiking.

They don't grow in Idaho.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (7santiago @ June 17 2006,7:55)]Theres a whole sea of them... thank for showwing this article, now im going to burn in envy of the plants I cant cultivate because of the winter temperatures of new york....
smile_h_32.gif
oh and btw.. my uncle in idaho (who flew in for surgery) says he has seen them before hiking.
I put mine in the attic for the winter, right at a SW window sill, and watered sparingly. When the photoperiod increased enough, the plant woke up on its own. A month later I took it back outside. Nothing really sophisticated done.

I grow mine out on the front porch year round with no special care whatsoever. The only thing I do differently is top water the plants until the tray is full instead of topping off the tray.
smile_m_32.gif

Yup! Darlingtonia Wayside is still in Florence, Oregon where its been for quite a few years now. Down at about sea level, it is a major attraction in Florence.

I am sure it is an attraction. Who could miss it!!!
smile_n_32.gif

Just went there last weekend:D . It was as beautiful as always. What some people don't know is that there is a fed. forest service campground just south and across hwy.101 from the wayside that also has trails with cobra plants. Ten yrs ago you could camp next to the creek were they grew ( Darlingtonia right next to where you slept:D ). This time I couldn't find the spot but it might still be there. Anyway, everyone should visit Florence and the whole Oregon coast, it's very beautiful. Jack

There is also a Darlingtonia boardwalk near Selma Oregon off HWY 199 Redwood Hwy. I have tons of pictures of both wayside and boardwalk. I will post soon.

Back