Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sarracenia hybrid questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you speaking from experience? Everything I've read says that fungus gnat larvae feed primarily on dead organic matter, root tips, and leaf growth. Has anyone who reads this dealt with gnats before? I've seen them in small numbers before, but never like this. I don't really have a good experience base to draw from with the gnats. Maybe I should be encouraging them to clean up dead matter, rather than being afraid of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fungus gnat larvae are supposed to feed on dead organic matter and supposedly roots. Seedlings with just single roots don't seem to suffer from having a few of the larvae in the peat, so I've seen no evidence of them being a threat.

I have never heard of them eating living leaf.

Uproot your plant, cut off any dead material with a knife (cutting back until you hit firm white tissue), dust with sulphur and repot.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All:

Thanks again for the quick help. I've moved everything out front, and the pitchers on Dana's Delight are beginning to show some strong pink already. Tarnok is still very questionable, but the new pitcher it's putting up looks strong so far. Waiting with fingers crossed...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12