What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flava vs. Oreophila

Two years ago I ordered what was supposed to be a S. flava from Peter Pauls. The plant that I have been growing has no coloration except for a few red veins in the upper part of the pitcher. The pitchers are short and stocky, and this is the first one to go dormant every season.

Your first mistake was having anything to to with Peter Pauls.

Any chance you can put up a picture? Oh, and welcome to the forums!

I hope it's not oreophila. Wouldn't surprise me if Peter Paul's ripped it from the ground.

Oreophila grows low growing sickle shaped phyllodia, whereas flava grows large upright sword shaped ones.

I'll try to post a shot. When I was buying the plants, PPs was the only nursery I knew of. Now that I've been introduced to the wonderful world of the internet, I've since quit using them.

yeah pps is pretty horible i would never label a plant oreophilla if i was completely sure just because it is so sparse and alot of collectors want the real thing so i would not label it anything, if you're having trouble finding an oreophilla pm me and i think i have a spare one i can give you

Not like the one you sent me, is it, Kirk?????

Another good way to seggregate S. flava from S. oreophila is to look at the peristome. In flava it lines up straight relative to the pitcher mouth. In S. oreophila it's off center. The phyllodia are a good indicator as well.

Those are good tips to know. Thanks!

74dd91dc.jpg

I think that is S. Flava, as far as I know there are no green Oreophila, but the experts here might correct me.

Chris

flava fsho... the lid gives it away, also oreophilla is "the green pitcher plant" for a reason, and flava is "the yellow pitcherplant"

You have a flava var. flava there.

Oreophila and flava can both be green, yellow, lightly veined or heavily veined.

As Alvin said, the names DO NOT tell you everything. Green pitcher plant does not mean it is solely green. Anyone who has seen the pinned topics in this forum should have seen the 2 dishpans I have filled with oreophilas in the part 2 of the pinned pitcher plant topics, Visit to Bugweeds. The color ranges for oreophila are as diverse as the color forms of s. flava. I agree with Alvins ID, 100%!
Down with Peter Pauls!!!!!

I thank you all! You learn something new everyday. For me I learned 2 things. How to post pics on this site, and what kind of pitcher plant I have,

O.K. this is for the experts
How can you tell by this one picture that it's S.f.flava. I know many of the pitchers look like flava but the one thats turned away from the camara looks just like the picture in Schnells section of oreophylla. It has the bulge at the top ( not as nicely tapperd as flava) and the hood columns is not as reflexed as flava. so my question is this, since Sarracenia as a group is so closly related, how do you know there isn't some oreo in there? Are you making an educated guess based on the fact that most of the features look like flava and the one lone pitcher is just an aberation because of the closeness of the family or am I seeing something that isnt there?

I'd say flava purely on the pitcher shape. Notice the one on the left has a hood that is very triangular, which is a strong flava trait. Oreophila has a longer neck most of the time, which is slightly lacking in that plant. The spur on the tip is also a sign of flava.
Flava hoods don't always fold back at the rear of the pitchers - the flava photo is Schnell's book is at the extreme end of the range in my experience. I have a couple of flavas which do look very much like the oreophila back shot in the book.

Of course, it is possible there is some oreophila in there. You can never be sure. But I would definitely say it's not pure oreophila.

Back