What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

H. minor

I'm worried that the little guy is not going to make it! The tops of the pitchers were brown when I got it. Now the whole plant is turning that way!
smile_h_32.gif
smile_h_32.gif

I've got it in a terrarium that is well ventilated with 40 watt flourescent lights on a 18 hour timer. It's still in the soil mix it came in, kept moist sitting in a shallow water tray.

18 hours seems like way too long to have your lights on. My plants are under lights that are on a 13 hour photoperiod and they grow just fine.

Make sure it isn't waterlogged, keep it cool also.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (droseradude @ July 15 2006,11:35)]Make sure it isn't waterlogged, keep it cool also.
While I agree completely with what you're saying, I have to say that all of my Sun Pitchers grow in 90 degree heat. They're all in terrariums that get good air circulation, but they grow like no one's business in our Southern California summer weather.

Weird huh? I've yet to figure it out myself!

I reduced my photo period to 13 hours. Maybe the little guy will make a comeback!

I've been told that once they start down hill, it's all over but the crying! I hope that this one is an exception to that rule!

I agree with many people on this board when I say that as long as there's some green left on your plant, there's still hope. Just keep the new conditions constant and I'm sure your plant will bounce back.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
While I agree completely with what you're saying, I have to say that all of my Sun Pitchers grow in 90 degree heat. They're all in terrariums that get good air circulation, but they grow like no one's business in our Southern California summer weather.

Weird huh? I've yet to figure it out myself!

Since I live in Sothern California too, I have to agree! They like it steamy in my tank. But since boglodyte's is relatively new to his care, it may be used to cooler temps.

Also, mine don't even get air circulation o_O

Wow, so heat AND no air circulation! Amazing!

Do you happen to have any recent pictures?

I think my most recent ones are in the growlist thread, but my h. Minor looks completely different now... i divided it up into 3 plants!

Oh and i wouldn't say NO air circulation on second thought, I do open it a few times every day.

Here's an update, a photo at approx. 6mos of age.  My first adult pitcher coming in!!  The plant now has three growth points.  I'm probably going to repot it soon, when I can do it without hurting it much.  It looks like it'll be fairly large soon.  It was growing in a windowsill, but is now under four 6500K T8 bulbs.

H.jpg

Love the recent pic....a have one that's a bit younger so nice to see a "preview" picture of their development.

Mine seems to have a mature pitcher, but with no spoon. But nice plant!

Did you say that you grow it on a window sill?

Ya it was a windowsill plant, but is now growing under T8 fluorescents.

I also have one that is just starting to put out mature pitchers.  I noticed its first mature pitcher had no nectar spoon when the photoperiod in my terrarium was around 11 hours.  Now the photoperiod is 14 hours and its second mature pitcher has a nicely developed nectar spoon.  Here is a recent picture.

Chris

carnivorkid's post got me all excited to add another photo here.  Looks like the first adult pitcher is about finished growing.  I got artsy and snapped the shot in front of a black background.

H-1.jpg

It was growing in a 3-inch pot in 50/50 peat/sand, but is now in a 6-inch ceramic bowl in 45/45/10 LFS/Perlite/peat.  It gets misted about once a day, but I make sure water's not sitting in the bottom for long.  The transplant doesn't seem to have slowed it down so far, as new pitchers are still incoming. Oh, and there's some live sphagnum now, too. Hopefully it'll take off...

Back