Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: H. minor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't want you guys to think things were all bad for me. I've included a few shots of a very, very young H. minor which is currently growing in an east-facing window (the brightest of my two). This little guy came from a greenhouse, and has been growing slowly but steadily ever since. Of course, slowly acclimating it to the lower humidity was an exercise in patience. It seems to be putting out one new pitcher a month....

Right after arrival:

On 6/22:

Comments welcome. I figured this might be interesting to other new Heliamphora growers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's so cute!
    Droserae will inherit the earth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with setep... What kind of soil mixture do you have it in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments =) It came potted in a 50/50 peat/sand mix from the grower. I put the LFS around the base of the plant when I finally removed the humidity cover, hoping it would help keep humidity up. It seems to have worked so far. I've been keeping the potting mix moist, without letting water sit at the bottom of the bowl it's in. So far, I've only fed it 2 tiny ants and a mosquito I found wandering around the house. I'm a little trepidatious right now, as it's my first Heliamphora. There are a few other CPs which I got at the same time, which are occupying the majority of my attention right now. This is probably for the best, as it forces me to leave this guy alone, and just let him grow. Has anyone here grown H. minor or heterodoxa with companion plants? I have some Utrics I was thinking of adding, as well (sandersonii and subulata).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Has anyone here grown H. minor or heterodoxa with companion plants?
    Not intentionally, but a utric has invaded my H.nutans pot and there's a small D.capillaris in my H.ionasii pot. They look nice and don't seem to be bothering the helis so they're staying put for the moment.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmmmm another question, for those who've done this before. Is there a general timeframe in which i should see growth from the LFS topdressing? I've tried this method before without success. I tried running a search, but you can imagine how many extraneous posts come up when your search includes "sphagnum."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    growth? since yah want it to grow yah probably never will see any growth. im only halfway joking. sphagnum gives ppl more heartburn than any CP, except getting U. tricolor to flower

i can get it to grow where i dont want it(seedling pots) but in the next pot over where i have neps or something where LFS really would be nice i get NO GROWTH. its frustrating i tell yah

very nice H. minor, i tried one of the lil guys like that and failed miserably when i started with a more mature plant i had great luck. my hats off to yah on keeping the lil guy going and alive
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my H. minor as it looked when I unpacked it just today. I've got it in it's original pot and mix. The yops of the pitchers are brown but I'm hoping that it will bounce back. I've got it in a terrarium with some Neps and Sundews. It's also sitting in a shallow water tray. I got a ceph on the way that will go there too.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast