What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

general hardness

Hello,

I have purchased a water hardness kit to test my tap water and i know that it is supposed to be less than 100 ppm in order to use it for CPs. My question is all of the tests i have come across test in degrees. Does anyone know how to translate the degrees into parts per million?

Thanks

This any help?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]1 ppm = 1 mg/L CaCO3
1 ppm = 0.058 grains/US gallon
1 ppm = 0.07 Clark degrees
1 ppm = 0.10 French degrees
1 ppm = 0.056 German degrees

Ok so i use my test kit and the german hardness is 4 degrees. Which by that calculation would be just over 2ppm. That just doesnt sound right. I called my water dept and they said it is usually between 50-75. 75ppm being the max they have seen. It just doesnt add up. OR I HAVE GREAT TAP WATER, lol!

No matter the case, that's pretty darn good!

Where I live, I'm not sure if they can legally call the water "water." There's almost less water than dissolved particles. It comes out of the faucet as a slurry.
smile_n_32.gif

With 1 ppm = 0.056 German degrees, 4 German degrees = 71 ppm (4/0.056).  So your test kit puts you in the expected range.  Although you can use that for CPs, you should take every opportunity to run softer water (rain, dehumidifier water, air conditioner drippings, etc.) through the pots.  I sometimes use tap water for Neps, but never for my Sarrs.

My water out here is around 100 ppm. I have been using it on all of my sarracenia for the past 7 years with no ill affects. We do get a lot of rain in the winter which freely drains through the pots, which might purge any built up minerals from the past growing season.

-Jeremy

herenorthere, Yeah i figured out that i calculated completely wrong after i posted, was hoping no one would notice
smile_o_32.gif

Since my sarrs are in an outdoor bog they get plenty of rain water but i like to supp with a soaker hose that i have buried about 12" down. They seem to be growing well for my first year but i just wanted to double check my water companies figures. B/C for the last few years we get a decent amount of rain in may-june then a drought until sept/oct

Just divide the hardness in ppm by 16.8 to get degrees hardness. This question comes up all the time if you deal with planted or saltwater aquaria ;)

Funny, I have maintained freshwater for 20 years now, mainly african cichlids and tankbusters(fish 2ft+) so i have never done a planted tank. However, that is why i just bought this new testing kit because i am going to do a 55 with injected co2. I figured since i bought the test equipment i mind as well use it for my cps as well

Back