What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

heliamphora division

Hey,

It's come to the point where I need to repot my h. minor cos it's filled the pot up, but while I'm at it I was wondering how I could divide the crowns?
I looked at the savage garden thing, but it seems like there's a good chance the fragile leaves would break during division. Does anyone who has had success dividing heliamphora have any tips?

I gently lift the plant out of the pot and rest it on its side. Then I use a wooden skewer to gently separate the potting media from the roots (which are also fragile). Once that step is done, you can visually try to deterimine where the plant wants to divide. I then pick up the plant and gently squeeze it so that it snaps at a growingpoint/crown. It is helpful if you get some roots with the growing point, but if you do not, you can treat that piece as a cutting.

No matter how careful I am, I often lose a pitcher or two and some roots when I re-pot.

Have the new pots all set up in advance and make sure you have a good place to grow them all.

Good luck!

Back