Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: heliamphora culture please

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys/gals. I was wondering if someone could give me some basic culture info from the folks that grow them. I want to give every CP a shot. I want to eventualy own atleast one of every type of CP. I currently don't own a heliamphora, but if I can give them somewhat the conditions they require I would like to try them. Then I will just have byblis, drosophylum, and aldrovanda to go. Thanks everyone.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I typically grow mine like highland neps. I keep the humidity and light level high. I provide for a cool temperature drop at night. I use LFS, orchid bark, coconut fiber, and other items so that the pot does not dry out, but it allows the rainwater i use to quickly drain away. I have been using pots with additional holes along the sides recently and it seems to be working well. I water them from above about once a week, and mine do not sit in water.

My first heli is a H. minor x heterodoxa. I have experimented by growing a division of that plant as a houseplant and it has survived.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So basicly you grow them cool, wet but with air at the roots. Basic Masdivallia culture. Hmm interesting. And you say you are having luck with one as a house plant. Another interesting thought. I just might have to try one. Thaks for the info.
    JB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow a couple Masd. orchids right next to some of my helis, but I give them less light.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try H. minor first, seems to be very hardy and gives you a species. i got my best growth growing mine slightly wet.

i plaed the pot ontop of another pot. i no longer remember what i have the Heli itself planted in but there was some strands of LFS hanging out the drain holes. i placed this pot on top of a shallow pot full of LFS that was constantly in water, through wick action the pot of H. minor stayed constantly wet/damp without sitting in water and w/o me having to remember to water it quite often
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rattler!
    JB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow lowland. Put it in LFS with some orchid bark, big pot, put some live spaghumn at the top if you want. (It grows out madly after a while which looks awesome). I keep it at 80-90 degrees daytime, and 70-80 night. (10 degree drop). Lots of light is best. I don't keep it waterlogged.
    Strangely I do the exact same thing as rattler as far as wattering goes and it works very well. Plus it's closer to the light.
    It's right next to my n. bicalcarata, they don't require cool conditions. (at least not the easy ones I have)
    heteradoxa, and minor.
    I'm sure heteradoxa x minor (widely available) could work as well.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool then it seems this would be a good candidate for the GH. It gets into the 90s out there, but drops inot the 60s at night. Whatever the outside temp is. I just might have to try one once I get the money to buy one or find someone who has one for trade.
    JB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast