What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spiders in pitchers

Anybody got any tricks up their sleeves? I am absolutely being invaded by spider after spider after spider. I keep getting them out of the pitchers, but another one replaces it by the next morning. And the spiders are stealing my plants hard earned meal!!!!!
mad.gif

If you have any tricks that have worked for ya, let me know please. Bugweed, I'm sure you know something,
confused.gif

yea, that's what I've been doing. What about the wrapped up insects in the spider's web? Knock them in there too? I'm guessing that that is about all you can do to the spiders, huh? Just keep knocking them in the pitchers everday?

if thats not bad enough the spiders have killed Freshly mated alate queens! (ants) in their webs! and my pitchers dont even get a shot!

Im letting nature play its games though.
Ill get you one day nature... ill get you....
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
HAHA Isn't that we are trying to do? Get nature? Fool Nature?? MWAHHAHAHAHA (evil laugh)

I have the reverse problem. I caught a couple garden spiders and put them by my tomato plants to catch the bugs. The tomatoes are near the VFTs and the VFTs got the spiders
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Im letting nature play its games though.

No more needed than this. Let nature do its thing. Chances are that the spiders are "stealing" a fairly negligable amount of nutrition from your plants. And then you need to think, it's sort of like paying for protection. Sure you could lose a little to a spider, but the spider is liable to eat all kinds of little nasties that you don't want on your plants.

I used to just blast spiders down the tubes with one of those 200mL squirt bottles for DI water (and the like) that you see in labs. I'm still coping with all the spiders that jump out at my hands when I'm trying to check out pitchers, but I manage.

yea, spiders seem to LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE being inside pitchers. Free room and board. I just feel like the spiders are stealing my pitchers hard earned food. But if you say that they take out other "less desirable" critters as well, then I guess I will wait and see if nature does work everything out.

I don't see any problem with spiders in the pitchers... Some Neps even have some sort of symbiotic relation with spiders, shure they catch some bugs, but the plant definitly benefits from the wayst products of the spiders.

Back