What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So I got a free Sarracenia seedling ...

Ok, my VFTs came in the mail today, from bugbitingplants.com, and they included a free Pitcher plant seedling. That is well and good, but the darn thing is TINY! They came wrapped in a wet cotton ball, and put into a ziplock bag.

The question is ... WHAT DO I DO NEXT?

I will try to get pics up tomorrow. Thanks in advance for your help.

I treat mine the same as the VFT. Plant it in peat/sand or peat/perlite and put it in a tray of water. Full sun is best!

Capslock

Here's a pic of it

200135566_98069bd2a1.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ July 28 2006,12:05)]I treat mine the same as the VFT. Plant it in peat/sand or peat/perlite and put it in a tray of water. Full sun is best!

Capslock
Thanks Capslock. I'll move it to a pot this weekend.

Patience is what you need. It will take about a year to become twice as big and three, four or five years until you have a mature plant. Best thing is to put it with your others and forget about it!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ July 28 2006,8:38)]Patience is what you need. It will take about a year to become twice as big and three, four or five years until you have a mature plant. Best thing is to put it with your others and forget about it!
Thanks, is there a danger of drying out? I know seedlings are vulnerable to such things.

It wouldn't hurt to have a deep pot that will hold moisture. I just make sure the pot sits in a container of water that doesn't go bone dry for too long. a little drying out is beneficial in that it encourages root development.

Might want to consider using 100% LFS. Pete/perlite mixes dry out faster and Sarrs love to be flooded so no worries there.

I second Outsider's idea about using LFS, but be warned that LFS turns to mush when submerged for long periods of time. If you can put a layer of peat or peat mixed with some aerator (perlite works, but I like ceramic chips myself) in for the first half of the substrate, and then top with LFS, you'll get the benefits of LFS without having to repot as much. In my experience, when peat is covered with LFS it stays moist longer and is easier to rehydrate if it dries out completely.
Have a good one,
~Joe

That's why you buy the GOOD LFS
smile.gif
. New Zealand LFS doesn't break down like the ordinary kinds.

Well thats cause its still able to grow, the other kind is proscessed to not grow to make you come back for more!

Your seedling won't dry out, whatever you plant it in. All sphagnum moss will turn to 'mush' eventually - it's called peat!

Thanks.

Ok, this morning I potted the little seedling in 1 part peat and 1 part perlite. It now sits in a zip lock bag on a window sill.
202575340_9ff2652124.jpg

actually it would do better outside... put it outside in the sun, but for the first week or so make sure it gets shade. then you can put it out in full sun. have fun! i have a small S. Flava offshoot. its going to be exciting to watch this baby grow.
Alex

Thanks Alex, I will try that.

Back