0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I'll try that.

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Farmer Dave @ Aug. 08 2006,11:51)]Ok lately I've been plagued with some black wasps that have been stuffing all if my pitcher plants with dead grass and grasshoppers...
    Dave, this sounds suspiciously like they are using your plants pitchers as ready made nurseries. Some wasps will sting their pray just enough to paralize them, stick them in a hole, lay an egg and plug the hole. The eggs hatch, eat the pray left in the hole with them, pupate into an adult, then dig or chew their way out to start the cycle over again.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I opened up a pitcher before and What I saw were about 12 dead (or paralized) grasshoppers and about three larva so I'd say that you're probably right

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK what you should do is shoo them away for a second then look in the traps and cut off the traps that have eggs in them. If you do that and move the plants inside for a few days the wasp should find another home and leave your plants alone.
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is that about 90% of my pitchers are taken over, and every time I cut one infested trap off in two or three days another one is infested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It also seems that they really enjoy making nests in my alata x minor hybrid and my leucos which also happen to be two of my favorite, besides my Dana's Delight which lately seems to fill up it's pitchers with flies nearly to the rim then topple over. well back on the subject, I was thinking about using some orthene on them but I don't know where to get it.

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Orthene will not kill wasps. Orthene will only work if the insect is actually eating the plant. Its very effective on aphids and the like, but wasps are another story.

Personally I dont see what the problem is here.. the wasps are feeding your plants as well as their babies.. sounds like the perfect partnership to me.

Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They don't feed the plants though they just clog it up and eventually all of my plants will belong to the wasps.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast