Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia for terrarium?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey as the title says im looking for a sarracenia that will do OK in my terrarium setup and not get too tall, is there any types that would work? my terrarium is 18" tall, with a lot of elbow room
    if i were ruler of the world, anyone who defined a nepenthene as a "companion plant" to orchids would be fired from a cannon atop mt. kinabalu.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    S. purpurea, S. rubra, and maybe some hybrids with S. purpurea. Remember to take them out for dormancy though.

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, thank you
    if i were ruler of the world, anyone who defined a nepenthene as a "companion plant" to orchids would be fired from a cannon atop mt. kinabalu.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't forget S. psittacina and it's hybrids.

remember they like light.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a small 10g terrarium that has S. psittacina, S. purpurea venosa and S. purpurea purpurea in it and they grow really nicely as they are low growing Sarr's. As mentioned though, don't forget that they need dormancy still so either plant them in pots in the soil so that they are hidden or only plant sarr's in it so that you can just put the whole terrarium into dormancy in the basement in a cold spot. You will love the deep red/purple that the S. purpurea get when grown in a terrarium under artificial light. Mine go pretty much scarlett red they are so dark. I love them. Good luck with this.

Cheers,
    Ravn
    I consider every plant hardy until I kill it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've been reading a bit about dormancy and im a bit confused... just how cold do they need to be? i read somewhere that they should be brought down to 40 degrees or so for 3 months? is that true? my basement doesnt get that cold =(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Meaven @ Aug. 29 2006,5:07)]i've been reading a bit about dormancy and im a bit confused... just how cold do they need to be? i read somewhere that they should be brought down to 40 degrees or so for 3 months? is that true? my basement doesnt get that cold =(
    you also have to consider that Sarrs are probably the most light loving of all the CPs, rivaing dews. your gonna have to have some major lighting to pull that off. heres what you should do-->in spring summer and part of fall grow out doors in full sun. when the first frost hits then bring your plants inside,uproot(optional), cut off the leaves, and put em in the fridge!
    alex

EDIT: 3- 4 months is how long it should be. Halloween to valentines day is a good estimate(or after first frost)
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dormancy is a confusing term. It includes both the process of going dormant, which actually begins as the photoperiod decreases (like now). Growth is slower, but necessarily at a standstill. It can also refer to the dead of winter when growth has either stopped or can't be discerned, often viewed as a deep sleep. Dormancy includes many factors, the most significant of which is decreasing light. While lower temps are associated with dormancy, it is far less significant (according to our Southern California hobbyists), as well as less water and critters. While cold is a part of dormancy, it is given more attention than is necessary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast