What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. luecophylla acting crazy again

Well, my S. luecophylla are acting crazy again. This time it's the Tarnak trying to flower in September. It flowered this past spring. Now it's flowering again.

This happened to me once before. The last S. luecophylla that did this flowered in the fall for 3 years and then died. What do you all think? Cut the flower off? It should be storing energy for winter not expending it on flowers, right?

The S. luecophyllas are the only ones that do this nutty stuff. Are they seasonally challenged or something?

This same thing happened over at CPUK, and apparently, it was because the plants were probably stressed out from the heat wave.

-Ben

I've got a rubra that just sent up two flowers...

A period of warmth followed by cold can trigger flowering, along with drought (probably not in this case!). Flowering can happen at odd times for no good reason too.

Flowering doesn't take much or any more energy than pitchering. It's the seeds use up the energy as each one has to have a little packet of energy inside to get the new plant started. Tarnok can't (apparent;y) produce seeds anyway.

Well, I'm cutting it off. I had a nice S. luecophylla die after doing this. I am taking no chances.

It could be the heat. It was awful hot here for 3 weeks and no rain at the beginning of August. I was getting 100 F on my porch there for a while. Then it started raining like crazy. We've had torrential rains every day for 2 weeks or more. With all the storms it has cooled off especially at night.

So maybe that triggered it.

Back