Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aphids!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Today I found 6 or so aphids on my S. rubra Northern variety, so I quickly smushed them. My question is, is it okay to use Orthro on cp?
    BTW, My S.flava has decided to send up a flower stalk and I would like to know if I should cut it or not?
    Thanks,
    dewy
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    personally I would cut the stalk off unless if your flava has been catching an enormous amout of bugs lately. Surprizingly I haven't been having a problem with aphids at all, caterpillars seem to be plaguing my butterworts though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some aphid on a few plants. I just bought another bottle of Bayer rose and flower insect spray. I will try it on my affected plants, since my drowning method didn;t work one of the plants. The Bayer stuff contains merit and its the same stuff in front line. The plant absorbs the poison and makes the entire plant poisonous for 30 days supposedly. I will report if it kills the plants, but it has been used on some of the most delicate orchids from what I have been told and no problems.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, in a topic frrom a few months ago, I asked aidan what the American product equivalent would be to the UK one called Provado. He gave me ingredients, which led to links, which led to the product that Josh just mentioned. I bought it and only used it on a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood that the plants were perched upon. I haven't tried it directly on the plants - yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used Orthene as well as some other insecticides on Sarracenia and I have never had a problem. Just be sure to follow the instructions on the package; dilute the proper amount, spray early morning or in the evening (not mid-day), and hit the plant from all sides so you get good coverage.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bayer rose and flower is pre mixed. Just spray and got. Or if you had a big collection you could just buy Merit concentrate and mix it yourself. Its 45 dollars or so for the concentrate. It is far less expensive in the long run, but more upfront. The Bayer spray is about 5 bucks a spray bottle. Merit is also a systemic pesticide so it makes the plant itself poisonous for a short time.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does that affect that wcich makes CP's what they are? Does it prevent them from catching critters?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I sprayed my 3 Sarracenia, and the only side effects I have noticed so far is one slightly wilted pitcher on my S.flava. I assume this is a normal reaction at the pitcher was quite old?
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast