What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to tell Purps apart?

glider14

Always a newbie
i got a S. purpurea from lowes today and i dont know what ssp/var it is? what differences can you tell form them? ill get a picture later.
Alex

it will definetly be subsp. venosa, as thats the only purp mass TC'ed. To tell them apart, subsp. venosa will have a slight pubescens to the pitchers and have a more ruffled hood. subsp. purpurea will be non-pubscent and have darker venation to it, may also have a longer pitcher shape to it.

Why is it the only mass produced purp?

Dunno, good question. My guess is because its easier to cultivate than subsp. purpurea, reason being is subsp. purpurea cannot tolerate really hot weather, whereas subsp. venosa can.

AWESOME!! that is the one i was hoping for! how hardy is it compared to ssp. purpura?

Its hardy if you're in a milder climate.

From what I can see, and I have the venosa and purpurea side by side, is that venosa is relatively as shorter, more squat plant. Also seems more colorful. And that fits a general natural rule of thumb. The warmer the climate, the smaller and more colorful the life is. The colder the climate, the larger and more dull the color.

var. burkii / rosea is also widely tissue cultured.

Back