What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my ceph...........

IMG_0154.jpg

I like it
laugh.gif

heres a picture of my Ceph!!

Well i can drem cant i?
smile_n_32.gif

Alex

Nice looking Ceph rattler. Mine were looking a little shabby, so I fed them some ruitflies and they are perking up a bit now. Might even get as nice looking as yours someday.

its my third attempt at the species.................dont give me to much credit
smile_n_32.gif

Took 9 attempts with me before I hit the right conditions so you got one up on me

its also a perfect example of why use aged or rinsed peat, i didnt bother rinsing the peat and now its got one heck of a carpet of moss in a very short period of time but since its growing so well i dont want to mess with it

Nice looking Rattler, look like it is enjoying your area. I get that darn moss in quite a few of my pots but dont worry about it until I need to repot do to plant size.

Nice ceph!

It's also my third attempt with this plant, the other two ended in, well, sudden death of the plant from rot.

The trick, for me, was putting them into deeper pots (6+" even for plantlets), and letting them sit in only 1/4" of water, letting it evaporate, then waiting 2-3d before refilling. Topdressing the medium with live LFS helped prevent crown rot and that pesky carpet moss.

So far, seems to have worked and I've got about 6 in my collection, including hummer's giant and czech giant....which are too small to have showy pitchers, but in a few years with a little luck.....

lol i went with a huge pot compaired to plant size(IIRC its about 8 inches tall), low water level and even mounded the soil above the pot rim............looks to be working............

I like that annoying moss, ya can give the pot a nice look like this:
(Click the pic to enlarge)
<a href="http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f155/quogue/Cephs.jpg" target="_blank">
th_Cephs.jpg

Photo by Wild Bill, Plant by Matt Kaelin (me)

Another pic of whole pot:

<a href="http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f155/quogue/Ceph1.jpg" target="_blank">
th_Ceph1.jpg
</a>

It was in a smallish pot too, repotted since this picture from the NECPS show. I always thought Ceph's were kinda easy, as long as you don't mess with the roots. Or drop a light fixture on it... DANGIT!!!

Lookin good there Rattler!!

yeah im really thinking for me atleast large, tall pots are the way to go, im thinking the last couple i killed were because the soil would swing from to wet to to dry, with the large pot i dont have to repot it and the soil tends to keep an even moisture level alot easier

Yeah, yer right, I futz with my plants too much & it has set them back before. Especially the root-cutting disaster of 2004..

Great ceph!

Heres my little seedling cephs as it takes off and it has 5 mm pitchers already.

IMG_6199.jpg

another set of updated pics
IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

Back