Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stratifying Sarr seeds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wrap the seeds in wet paper towel, then in foil and leave them in the fridge for 5 weeks. No need for fungicide - if your seeds get mould you have dead seed or your fridge really needs a clean out

Tiny plants can easily catch tiny insects that naturally live around peat with no help. After a few weeks, you should be able to see lots of shadows in the tiny pitchers if you hold them up to the light. Even those raised indoors in winter will catch little springtails.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Josh, I learned the trick from Ivan Snyder, who grows S. purpurea from seed to full size in three years. I believe he uses miracle grow or maybe miracid. Ever since I switched to organic methods for the garden I've been using regular strength compost tea instead.

Alexis, its true that the seedlings catch a lot on their own, particularly when they're grown outside, but this method gives them a good boost anyway.

Hope it helps,
    Peter
    the cellist

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any way to get in touch with Ivan to find out what he used and the strength? I don't have a compost pile to get good compost for compost tea, unless you have a method for that too. LOL Thanks for your help Peter.

Alexis I have them wrapped in a wet papertowel and in a ziplock bag to hold in the moisture. I will take them out after 4 to 5 weeks and see what happens. I plan on starting them in the GH over the winter where the temps doesn't get lower than 50 unless that is too cold to keep them from going into dormancy.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Josh,
    This is what I have done for years and I have yet to be able to improve on it.

http://hometown.aol.com/thombrogar/index.html

I have heard that you can sow 'fresh' seeds and get immediate germination without vernalization( a combination of cold and wet) I was gathering this years' crop of seed this weekend and cracked open a pod to see if there was good seed set only to find several seeds had sprouted within the green pod. Now, what I believe 'fresh' to mean is seed taken from a still green pod and sown immediatly. I have not tried this but will to see what results I get. I know from an old time grower of Sarracenias that the seeds within pods are ripe by Sept. so there is no need to wait until the pods drys and turns brown or even later when it cracks open. I think by this time the coating on the seed has dried and hardened to create the hydrophobic situtation which needs the four plus week vernalization to remove. I did remove the two spouted seeds and planted them.
    I remain a man obsessed with a genus
    Brooks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Brooks! The info was great. One of the seed pods I collected from was an opened pod. I was just checking things and noticed it has dehissed already. Do I went ahead and took the other pod that was still green. I opened it and the seeds looked good to the nakid eye. I will have to try that next time with greenpods and see if I can have any luck without stratifying the seeds. This batch is already in the gridge so I will let them ride the month out there then plant.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12