What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New seeds

glider14

Always a newbie
ok i got both of my seeds packs in today(thank you JB_orchidguy and Phissionkorps!!) and i noticed with some seeds from both packes they were crushed probably due to the fact that they were treated the way other letters were treated. anyways will this inhibit the germintation of the seeds? when i say crushed for S. minor i mean the outer coat it cracked and the dark inner part is visible.
Alex

Hard to say as it depends on whether the seed was damaged when the seed coat got cracked. Planting them will be the easiest way to determine if they are still viable or not.

I have received many envelopes of dust that were supposed to contain Sarracenia seeds. I have never been so fortunate to have enough intact material to get germination, but its worth watering an extra pot for a while in case you do. Steve is right.. the only way to tell for sure is plant them and see what happens.

Good luck,
Steve

I am sorry about that Alex. I had remembered to write hand cancel on it after I dropped them in the mailbox. I will have to remember to do that next time. I hope they germinate for you.

Almost certainly the crushed and cracked ones will not germinate. Sometimes a few escape so look carefully.

Best regards
Chris

It doesn't pay to be cheap. add a little bubble warp around it and lay down the extra 13 cents that it costs to send a ovesize letter.
My 2 cents

Wasn't trying to be cheap.
mad.gif
I have recieved them that way in the past and figured it was ok to send them that way. I will get some bubble wrapp to send seeds in next time.
smile_l_32.gif

nobodys fault except the postal carrier...
but I've been told not to upset them
confused.gif

I've never used bubble wrap or recieved bubble wrapped seeds and never had an problems.

no its fine guys. i had a bunch of good looking seed so if i do it all right it should be still ok. wish me luck with germination!
Alex

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kahnli @ Sep. 26 2006,7:42)]nobodys fault except the postal carrier...
but I've been told not to upset them
confused.gif
Ya don't want them going postal do ya??

It's a hard job to crush little seeds, so maybe they went through the rollers at the sorting office?

maby... i dont know. they ALL are being stratified right now so only time will tell.
Alex

Back