What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cooling a terrarium

I'm still a bit of a newbie when it comes to terrariums and greenhouses, and I was wondering what the cheapest way to cool down a terrarium for a Heliamphora minor would be. I'm so excited because I got one today and I don't want anything to go wrong.

Perhaps a pc fan and opening the terrarium up a bit?

I don't think you should stress overly on an H. minor, if you had H. ionassi or H. neblinae then I would suggest some sort of cooling apparatus. But for now like Jim said, a fan and some airflow to let out the warmer air would be sufficent, maybe the addition of a small cold pack would help.

Ok thanks

Also I was wondering if I could just throw like six ice cubes in there on a hot day? Maybe they'll melt and cool the terrarium and then When it gets totally liquified it might add some humidity.

i would also like H. Minor...i might get one soon. they are very pretty plants...
Alex

yes they are, I just got mine today.

Heliamphora really like cool roots, cool growing tops are not really that important. Treat them like Darlingtonia roots. So a few ice cubes placed in close proximity to the plant would probably be benefical on a really hot day.

Back