What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My stratified seeds...

glider14

Always a newbie
ok so all of my seeds have been stratifying a bit more than 4 weeks. i have S. minor D. filiformis ssp filiformis and D. californica. i took 2 seeds out about a week agao to test them to see if they would germinate.... they all already have mold on them and they are turning to mush.
rock.gif
what can i do to stop the mold? can i just keep them in the fridge until spring?
Alex

How did you keep them in the fridge,could you give a little more detail?

Jerry

they are on top of chopped LFS in a baggie that is tied up in the fridge which stays at around 40*F...
Alex

Seeds should be only barely moist for stratifcation in an enclosed environment.

yea. the chopped sphagnum is actually pretty dry. its not sopping wet at all.
Alex

I can't think of why they've turned mouldy. My seeds stay in sopping wet paper towels, wrapped in foil, and they germinate fine.

Glider don;t feel bad my seeds are just sitting there doing nothing too. They are not molding or anything, but they are surely not spouting. How long does germination take normaly?? I stratified them in a wet paper towel in a ziplock bag. The seeds are S. Minor and leah wilkerson F2 seeds.

2-6 weeks, about 3 on average.

I stratify my seeds in damp paper towels with a generous sprinkling of cinnamon. When I get ready to plant the seeds, I put another generous sprinkling of cinnamon over the seeds and soil; seems to work get for me.

Glider, I stick mine in a wet paper towel inside a ziplock 'til spring. I check the paper towel occasionally and change it if starts developing mold. You can also stratify the seed and then store it dry in the fridge until spring.

My 2 cents.
I store mine dry in a refrigerator until about 4-6 weeks before April. Then I sow them directly on the moist media that they are going to be grown .place the pots on the floor of my coldframe. I mist them every couple of day to check for fungus and and watch for germination, In May, I up put them up in a warmer area and viola, germination happens.
Lois

this thread has got me thinking about my stratification plan. currently I plan on setting up individual pots and putting them outside in the next month and let the stratify outside on the porch

thanks for your replies. i got this from a member on the CPUK forum. he stratifies his seeds in a wet paper towl with cinnamon sprinkled all over it(and on the seeds
rock.gif
) wrapped in aluminum foil and in the fridge. im going t try that with the 100 mixed varieties of hybrids im getting from and order
smile.gif

Alex

Back