Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Winter Care

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry to hijack...but in in a real predicament right now... i have my plants in my unheated garage...but there is no light availiable. so i but them back outside so they would get sun and i put a white garbage bag over them with a little hole in the corner(ventilation) i did this so they wouldnt freeze or die from the wind... is the bag idea bad? is there any other way?
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all that have responded.

In terms of priorities. Would light be a higher priority than protection from the wind & frost? I have my pitcherplant in the basement but lighting migh be an issue. I can bring it outside but the weather in Michigan is very unpredictable and the winter winds are extremely hazardous to plants.
    Who's your Tiger?

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are a couple members who just mulch their bogs in pine needles every winter to prtect them from the rapid freeze/thaw cycles that result in plants dieing. If you have a lot of plants, this would be the easiest method. If you only have a couple, then the fridge or a cold windowsill would be easiest.

How much light they need during dormancy will depend on how cold they get. When it's at or below freezing, photosynthesis almost stops, because the water in the leaves freezes. So they won't need hardly any light.

I'd lose the plastic bag and cover them in an old bed sheet or something similar. Floating row cover material comes to mind. It's usually made from spun polyester, UV protected and durable enough to use several seasons before being replaced. They are used to protect seedlings from wind and harsh light in the spring. It's also porous so that moisture doesn't get trapped under it to cause problems with mold. Topped with a thick layer of pine needles it might make a good winter bed for your plants. I can't say it will for sure as I haven't tried it, but it sounds good on paper.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if its -20 then leave the pot frozen where it is cause moving to a fridge will thaw it and its best if its frozen all winter then every day thaw and freeze. Most of all my sarracenias are all put together and mulched with some leaves and pine needles and thats it. You can store it in the fridge it shouldnt hurt it just chck for fungi. like big carnivorkid said if you have a couple them the fridge or windowsill will do i personnaly have over 20so i do whhat i explained above
    ~Brandon~ aka ~Carnivorkid~
    Member of SEPACPS
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanx for useful tips! and the same winter care is good for dioneae as well? sorry for off topic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well dionaea are'nt as hardy as sarracenia. i usually fridgerate mine well i did last year and it worked out fine.
    ~Brandon~ aka ~Carnivorkid~
    Member of SEPACPS
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanx

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123