What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy Care

i decided to go the path of refridgerated bare-root dormancy.

i have the plants in large ziplocks, bareroot with moist paper towels secured to the roots with rubber bands.

so what do i have to do now? do i have to check on them? do i have to change the paper towels at all? has anyone got any experiance in doing it this way?
sign_help.gif

I'd spray lightly with a fungicide just in case.

Just check em once a month if you feel like it for mold/dead tissue. I don't know why you secured the towels with rubberbands. Lack of air circulation may be a problem with that going on. I'm no expert at fridge dormancy so take what I say with a grain of salt.

the bands arent tight, just there to keep things in place

I never use fungicide unless there's a fungus that needs treated. I would check the plants every 5 to 7 days to make sure they are still doing well. I don't use paper towels either. Being sealed in the ziplock was enough to keep the roots from drying out and makes it easier to see if fungus or other problems are occuring that the paper towels would hide.

why bare roots? is it better than to keep it in pot? well i'm not expert at all, but i red that it is better to not disturb roots without serious reason...

There's 2 reasons people do them bare root. First they don't take up as much space in the fridge. Second, they can plant them in fresh peat when the new growing season starts. For the most part, the plants are better off if the roots are disturbed as little as possible. Plants that are either dormant or going dormant seem to handle the root disturbance better than plants that are actively growing. And for beginners, it is just one more variable to toss in to the learning of CPs and what causes them to go belly up when you least expect it. So bare rooting a plant is something you should avoid until you've gotten the hang of growing them. Then you'll likely do it and wonder what all the fuss was about
scratch.gif

beginners (like me) at first ask a lot of questions
biggrin.gif
well i better keep mine in pot. i realy want to leave it sleep outside, in my balcony, not fridge
cool.gif

I've had excellent success by simply placing VFT's, Sarracenias, cobra lily... as is, in the fridge. I used no fungicides and kept them exposed. I had no problems with mold and very few deaths.

I think you guys worry too much lol

alfred_e_neuman_001.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Dec. 12 2006,10:28)]I think you guys worry too much lol
maybe you're right
smile.gif
but i have sarr only 2 weeks ;) and this was my second CP so i realy don't have any experience...
blush.gif

Full sun, pure water... oh wait that's it... lol

If you live in lithuania, and i'm only speculating that it gets too cold there, just mulch very well. Dig a hole and plop em in the ground then mulch if you're worried. Or put them in an attic or basement with a window. Or a fridge. The point is just whatever. They aren't tempermental or anything. VERY hardy plants.

Luckily i'm fortunate enough to live in Georgia and mine grow at the edge of our lake
smile.gif
If only I could combat the weeds.. oh the weeds!

good for you, JustLikeAPill
rant.gif

what realy bothering me is how to understand it's ready for a sleep? i have it only few weeks, less than a month. luckily it's very warm and moist weather now. how long it will take to preapre a plant for dormancy?
rock.gif

With VFT's, the leaves change from tall, long, thin, and upright, to shorter, wider, and laying on the soil. With many Sarracenias (not including the P. purpurea you have pictured), they develop leaves that don't have pitchers, called phyllodia. For P. purpurea, I haven't noticed anything other than cessation of leaves / pitchers.

Would you happen to know what the daily averages temps are for December-> February? If they're not too cold, they could remain outside or at least remain outside with some mulching.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Dec. 14 2006,6:31)]With VFT's, the leaves change from tall, long, thin, and upright, to shorter, wider, and laying on the soil. With many Sarracenias (not including the P. purpurea you have pictured), they develop leaves that don't have pitchers, called phyllodia. For P. purpurea, I haven't noticed anything other than cessation of leaves / pitchers.

Would you happen to know what the daily averages temps are for December-> February? If they're not too cold, they could remain outside or at least remain outside with some mulching.
this december daily average temp is +10 C and i have no idea what will be in january
sad.gif
last year we had VERY cold and long winter, -28 C temperature held almost 2 weeks! but that was exception.

Was that the mean temp or the average daily high? Was 10 C the average of the overnight low and the daytime high or the average daily high for the month?

Back