Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dormancy Care

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i decided to go the path of refridgerated bare-root dormancy.

i have the plants in large ziplocks, bareroot with moist paper towels secured to the roots with rubber bands.

so what do i have to do now? do i have to check on them? do i have to change the paper towels at all? has anyone got any experiance in doing it this way?
    if i were ruler of the world, anyone who defined a nepenthene as a "companion plant" to orchids would be fired from a cannon atop mt. kinabalu.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd spray lightly with a fungicide just in case.

Just check em once a month if you feel like it for mold/dead tissue. I don't know why you secured the towels with rubberbands. Lack of air circulation may be a problem with that going on. I'm no expert at fridge dormancy so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the bands arent tight, just there to keep things in place
    if i were ruler of the world, anyone who defined a nepenthene as a "companion plant" to orchids would be fired from a cannon atop mt. kinabalu.

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never use fungicide unless there's a fungus that needs treated. I would check the plants every 5 to 7 days to make sure they are still doing well. I don't use paper towels either. Being sealed in the ziplock was enough to keep the roots from drying out and makes it easier to see if fungus or other problems are occuring that the paper towels would hide.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why bare roots? is it better than to keep it in pot? well i'm not expert at all, but i red that it is better to not disturb roots without serious reason...

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's 2 reasons people do them bare root. First they don't take up as much space in the fridge. Second, they can plant them in fresh peat when the new growing season starts. For the most part, the plants are better off if the roots are disturbed as little as possible. Plants that are either dormant or going dormant seem to handle the root disturbance better than plants that are actively growing. And for beginners, it is just one more variable to toss in to the learning of CPs and what causes them to go belly up when you least expect it. So bare rooting a plant is something you should avoid until you've gotten the hang of growing them. Then you'll likely do it and wonder what all the fuss was about .
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    beginners (like me) at first ask a lot of questions well i better keep mine in pot. i realy want to leave it sleep outside, in my balcony, not fridge

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had excellent success by simply placing VFT's, Sarracenias, cobra lily... as is, in the fridge. I used no fungicides and kept them exposed. I had no problems with mold and very few deaths.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast