What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well a heavy freeze hit today freezing my sarracenia pots for the first time of the winter season. And inside the purpureas pitcher which contains almost to the top of water turned into a purpsicle. Lol

oh.gif

IMG_5894.jpg

IMG_5897.jpg

Cps and frozen pond

IMG_5878.jpg

My mini bog frozen also with filiformis , a load off sarracenia flava and oreophila seedlings ( all those red ones probably 30 or more 1 year seedlins, theres ping vulgaris , drosera intermedia, rotundofolia, some others that planted themselves and what i believe is a drosera capensis in which comes back after our winter which i do believe capensis is rather root hardy i mean like frozen most of winter and returns from the ground. not sure though if it is and this picture doesnt really show it close up

IMG_5880.jpg

Wow! I must have really gotten cold up there!

Down here in Tally it got like 30 degrees (which was really cold) and almost all of the leaves on my pings (that i left outside) shriveled up.

P. vulgaris must be really cold hearty

That's pretty cool. Also, it's cool how the D. capensis keeps coming back year after year despite the temps in winter.

@ Farmer Dave, heh, P. vulgaris lives even farther up than I am, in Canada, so it'd have to be pretty tough.

-Ben

I just brought all my outdoor plants into my unheated garage tonight. My purps looked the same way.

yep vulgaris is a tough hardy one and i think capensis is decently hardy. It comes back here in zone 7. My sarracenias stay out but are moved into a cold frame that allows them protection for when it gets really cold. It hit i think 25 degrees here in philly and its going down the same temp tonight again. my ponds freezing thicker.

Heres a diagram

IMG_5880edit.jpg

Wow. With all the talk over in the nep forum about lid licking, purpsicles might be the next thing in the line of CP food items!

Nice looking bog, by the way.

xvart.

Ya i was laughing so hard about the cp food items.
laugh.gif

ya my little bog is filling in nicely i just started like planting things here or here and assing more and more as i found different ones. Mostly were given to me. I got 2 packs of sarracenia flava and oreo from icps and scattered itr through it. just to fill it in and i bet next year ill be seperating them as there reallly clumped together. The filiformis are really established in there and been in there the longest spreading seeds and growing new ones near by. I can picture those flavas and oreophilas in like 5 years. lol

Is that good for the inside to freeze like that? I'm sure mine has a couple times this year.

It's no harm at all.

No chance of ice and snow for us
sad.gif

Look at how warm we are
Oo.gif

temp4.png

yeah there purpureas most of all. they arent stopped by cold.

Its snowing out now. Its pretty awesome.

we had a snow flurry+12mph winds today...THATS cold! tonight its supposed to get down to 12F and feel like 6F...with the wind. insane!!!
Alex

yeah it's getting like 19 degrees outside tonight, that's freezing for our normal temps!

yea we have like a wind chill here of 8 but its only 25 as a temp and its windy.

Oh by the way, I like your video on your website!

How did the D. gigantea work out?

You should have tried to get your Devil's Claw in there, it would have been sweat!

jeez you know what i didnt get the devils claw on video and its to late now. well next year for sure. I never made a fall cp video but maybe ill do an indoor cp vid during winter once i get my cast off. My drosera gigantea didnt get big enough to produce a tuber so they died when it started getting really hot. It was ashame but i got my really healthy auriculatas still. im have to post up some devil claw seeds as i have alot.

you could send them for the trade chain

We had a good snow last night, there's about 3-4 inches on the ground. We need more though! How cold does it have to be before I have to bring my S. purpurea ssp. purpurea inside a garage before it gets damaged in its pot? I've had it in the garage since around Halloween, but I was wondering if it would have done ok in temps below 20 degrees F?

-Ben

seriously i wouldnt worry at all leave it there all winter. i left a rubra in a pot outside with all my others sarracenias exept this one was at the edge of my pond which froze solid all winter with usuall night temps of 15-20 and one down to like 5 or so. was completly unharmed and purpureas are even hardier yet. definately can take temps at 20 or lower you think in the wild a purp could experience to -20 or -30. these can take whatever cold you give it. was looking for a picture of it but cant find it of my rubra burried in ice and it rose in the spring with 15 flowers.

Back