User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cephalotus stereogram (3-D picture)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all-- I made a "cross-eyed stereogram" (which forms a 3-D image if the viewer looks at the picture cross-eyed)--

--of my cephalotus today. I took two photos, the second one from a view several inches to the side, the first picture to represent the view from a left eye and the second picture to represent the view from a right eye.

Then I placed both photos, scaled, side by side in an image editing program (the Gimp, like PhotoShop (but free)), with the right-eye image on the left and the left-eye image on the right, so that when one views the two images cross-eyed, a third image forms in the middle that is a 3-dimensional composite of the other two.

Take a look if you like. It may take a little practice, and moving your face closer or further away from your computer monitor while staring cross-eyed at the image, to superimpose the two images onto each other creating the 3-D image apparently between the other two.

Link to 3-D cross-eyed stereogram of cephalotus:
    3-D stereogram of cephalotus

Steve / xscd
    Be happy in the travel--there is no destination

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I enjoyed that so much that here is another "cross-eyed" stereogram of the same plant, closer to the plant:

Cross-eyed stereogram 2 of cephalotus

Steve / xscd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice, on both counts. It's amazing to think that everything we see is actually exactly two images just like that. I'm inspired. I'll see if I can make some myself.

Peter
    the cellist

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, all I really accomplished was giving myself a headache. lol It sounds like a very cool concept! Hopefully I can get it together. I never could do those things where there's an object hidden in what looks to be random noise.

Must see 3D picture... lol
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent. I always had trouble doing these till someone told me how to do it.

When you cross your eyes you see two of everything, right? So, with the two photos, you see four of them when you cross your eyes. The trick is to get the two middle ones to line up on top of each other and focus on that one.

That worked for me.

By the way, it works best if you get close to the screen - like 18 iinches on my fairly large monitor.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Capslock @ Dec. 19 2006,7:42)]When you cross your eyes you see two of everything, right? So, with the two photos, you see four of them when you cross your eyes. The trick is to get the two middle ones to line up on top of each other and focus on that one.
    Yes!
    That's a better explanation than my own.

For me, it helps to first align my nose with the boundary between the two images, then cross my eyes without trying to focus on anything, then stare in the general direction of the two pictures, then tilt my head to the right and left to get the images lined up horizontally, then to move my face closer or further back from the monitor until the two images that are closest together (of the four images, two of each, that the eyes see when crosseyed) align with each other and come more or less into focus as a 3-D image. Then when one has fixed his eyes on this 3-D image, one can move them and focus them on different parts of the image while still retaining the 3-dimensional effect.

It takes a little practice and getting used to, but it is the easiest way to produce a 3-D image that the viewer doesn't have to have any special equipment to see. I'm thinking about ordering a pair of anaglyph 3-D glasses (the ones with a red filter for the left eye and a cyan filter for the right), in order to be able to view (and make) anaglyphic 3-D images like the Mars rover makes. I want to see NASA's images of mars in 3-D!

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very cool! Back in May of '05 I had made a few of these of the inside of my green house. I think it is really really neat! I found your first one a little difficult with the ceph hanging off the right hand side of the photo, but got it none-the-less
    GOOD JOB!!!
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are cool. I attended the 3D Film Expo here in Los Angeles back in September and a few people had 3D rigs for digital cameras. Basically they had two cameras slaved together on a frame. The 3D images can then be viewed in a variety of formats - the "cross-eyed" method as here, a "view-master" or stereo-opticon method (which is sort of the cross-eyed method without out you knowing it), projected with polarized filters and wearing polarized 3D glasses or with "anaglyph" prints - using blue and red eyeglasses.

The most common setup I saw was this one:

More info can be found here
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.