What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canadian Ceph pic

mabudon

Metal King
Here's a few pics of my newest Ceph, grown by a friend of mine named Jay and given to me a few weeks ago

Not too many pics of Cephs from north of the Canadian/US Border so I figure it's about time
biggrin.gif

ceph3.jpg

ceph2.jpg

ceph1.jpg

It's in LFS and grows in a south facing windowsill next to a Heli which I don't want pics of just yet (it kinda darn near died when I got it during a heatwave this summer, but it should be back to full display quality in a couple months I think)

It looks great.
smile.gif

Just don't let it stay soggy. I keep mine on the dry side compared to sarracenia and even Venus Flytraps, partly by using less sphagnum and more sand or perlite in the mix to make it well-drained and not retain so much water for so long (I use one part sphagnum peat to two parts silica sand or perlite, for example).

Cephs are different from other pitcher plants and other carnivorous plants in general: they have a more woody "herbaceous" root system that can easily be prone to rot if not "high and dry" (meaning moist most of the time, not wet). I never leave mine sitting in water.

Anyway, looking good. Thanks for posting the photos.
smile.gif

Thanks man!
the cup the little guy is in is my "ICU", the person who gave it to me was growing it in VERY high humidity and my house is bone-dry, but he also stressed NEVER keeping it too wet- his suggested method is to put it in a tray for long enough to get it "wet" then putting it in a dry tray (or wherever, I like to use something to keep it from leaking at least) and letting it dry out slow, and basically repeating the process as needed. From the look of his plants, I figure imitating his protocols is a pretty safe bet, plus he lives so close to me that I know most factors as far as natural light etc are close to identical... and if anything goes wrong, I can always get him to come and gauge the situation pronto, which is a GREAT thing to have...

I plan on repotting the thing pretty soon in a nice shallow, sandy pot of some sort, but since I just got it, I wanted to stabilize heem before doing that

Again, thanks for your post, any knowledge will help me out in the endeavour
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mabudon @ Dec. 18 2006,9:25)]the cup the little guy is in is my "ICU", the person who gave it to me was growing it in VERY high humidity and my house is bone-dry
Don't be too worried about the humidity, although it might be nice to get the plant used to lower humidity gradually instead of all at once. I live in the semi-desert of New Mexico, US, where the humidity is typically so low that sometimes dead animals (and even some centuries-old humans) dry out and turn to mummies faster than they can rot, and I don't do anything to help my cephalotus have higher humidity except to keep it out of the hot dry wind outside during the summer.

Regarding the pot you plant it in, it seems to me that cephalotus prefer deep pots, not shallow ones. They like well drained soil but they like lots of it, to spread their roots and new-plant-runners down into and through. So consider a deep pot instead of a shallow one.

Mine are planted in a pot that has about 7 inches of soil depth.
smile.gif

cephalotus-folicularis_10-2006_b.jpg

Ahh, now I should change the title to "Cephs of the US and Canada" ;)

Nice plant, and nice pic thereof to boot, thank you for posting it!

Very interesting on the humidity- I have a Ceph in my tray that doesn't get too much humidity but as I stated above, I gave it other problems
biggrin.gif

I am going to try a few different pots, my friend who gave me this one swears by pretty shallow pots, as he suggests that the underground bits will go to the surface of a shallow pot more quickly and speed up clumping- and from seeing his plants, I would have to think he is onto something there, but I don't have enough experience to judge just yet- and again, if you are getting results like that with deep pots, there's obviously no problem with them, either eh??

Back