What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia seedlings

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>October 28th</span>

darlingtonia28102006cx7.jpg

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>December 8th</span>

darlingtonia08122006gi4.jpg

The previous seedling pic was the only one that germinated some weeks ago, now most of the seedlings are also starting to germinate
darlingtonia0812200602pn5.jpg

Updates soon ;)

nice!

were the seeds fuzzy to start with? i have some Darlingtonia seeds stratifying currently, but they look very different - flat and non-fuzzy.

you dont have darlingtonia seeds then zedlepp.

thats so depressingly slow!!
rock.gif

Alex

[b said:
Quote[/b] (zedlepp @ Jan. 04 2007,4:11)]nice!

were the seeds fuzzy to start with? i have some Darlingtonia seeds stratifying currently, but they look very different - flat and non-fuzzy.
Sounds like Sarracenia.

Darlingtonia californica seeds:

Seeds_Darlingtonia.jpg

so i took the seeds out of the fridge to take a better look and they are indeed fuzzy. they are so tiny, you dont notice the fuzz unless you look carefully. even my crappy cam's macro cant see it well.

Dcalseeds.jpg

Update:

Photos from January 4th

Darlingtonia californica
darlingtonia01up4.jpg

darlingtonia02ik1.jpg

darlingtonia03hz8.jpg

darlingtonia04jd0.jpg

Can you give us some info on how you did this? I've tried twice to germinate them and failed. I'll try again when I have more info.

Received the seeds, sown them in wet peat, water tray below and waited. It was this basically. Read my previous post I talk about being unsure if the later germinated seeds can be considered to be stratified or not ;)

Can you give us some info on how you did this? I've tried twice to germinate them and failed. I'll try again when I have more info.

I'd be interested also as I am about to start stratifying some seeds in the next few weeks. My research on Darlingtonia californica stratification so far:

Cold stratify for at least 5 weeks in sealed plastic bags with plenty of air on (in order of preference): finely chopped live Sphagnum, finely chopped LFS, paper towel - all barely damp.

After strafication sow onto chopped live Sphagnum, chopped LFS or a standard CP peat mix. Keep these in sealed bags or under a dome with plenty of light (but not direct sunlight). After germination slowly decrease humidity by opening the bags/dome slightly more over time. Once "hardened off" grow under lights or in filtered sunlight, terrarium growth ok for first year or so.

Final growing media (in order of preference): pure live Sphagnum, 1:1 perlite:LFS, 1:2 peat : perlite mix. Top dressing of live sphagnum, perlite/pumice with LFS/peat mixes. Use peat pots, unglazed clay pots or light colored plastic or glazed pots.

...wow now that is very complicated... I need to find a source for Live Sphagnum. >_<

I don't think it matters that much for stratification and germination. I_Pereira germinated on pure peat and the seedlings look great. Maybe someday I'll try a comparison between live/LFS/paper towels, but I'm sure somebody has before.

The drawback with live Sphagnum is that it can overgrow the seedlings, blocking their access to light.

You can stratify them in the pots you're going to germinate/grow in, if you have the refrigerator space. Just seal the pot and everything in plastic bags.

If your winters are cold enough just sow them in pots at the end of autumn, beginning of winter and leave them outdoors. Protect from heavy rain which can bury the seeds which is not a good thing.

Seeds should always be sown on the surface and not covered with the planting material.

I decided not to stratify after seeing a post of a cpuk member that sowed the seeds fresh without stratification and all germinated. From the search I did I think that stratification doesn't matter that much as it does for sarracenia for example ;)

Back