Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How you do dormancy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, let me be clear the title is "How You do dormancy", not "How do you do dormancy"

Tell us how you do it, your methods, your timing, everything! This is meant to be a learning experience for everyone- seeing how others do dormancy in ways that are different from your own.

So, how do you do dormancy?
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

In Western Washington, for about 5 years I would place each pot in a whole dug in the ground. This would insulate the pots during very cold spells. Last year I decided I had too many plants to do this with, so I just take them out of the their bog tubs and leave them out all winter. I only bring them into the garage if we have weather in the teens for an extended period of time. I have never lost a plant using these two methods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wrap my little round rear in a bearskin and sleep ALL winter!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i live in kentucky(zone 6) and mine are out side. i have to watch for freezing wind but otherwise they do fine! i have all my sarrs outside along with the VFTs and Drosera. the only sarrs i have inside are seeds and they are being germinated under lights. i plan to get many more soon!
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dig a broad, but shallow hole and put all the pots in there, filling around them with dirt and keeping the rims of the pots an inch or so above the ground. It's a raised bed, by the way, so water won't collect there. As winter arrives, I start piling loose leaves on top. Using oak leaves, not maple, which would mat down and suufocate everything underneath. I end up with 12"+ of leaves. Then I prop a lean-to overhead to keep the snow off. The lean to is just an old section of wooden lattice covered with landscape fabric.

Two things have gone wrong with this "system". One year, more than the usual amount of snow piled up on the leaves and, because it would melt a little on warm days and the water would refreeze underneath, the pots became encased inside solid ice. I lost several plants and added the lean-to the following winter. Then, last year we had an extremely dry period in late winter and everything dried out. I lost essentially all of my Sarr seedlings by the time it occurred to me to check on whether they might be too dry.

I keep more than CPs under there, by the way. My hardy terrestrial orchids are in there and so are a bunch of newly rooted fruit cuttings and plants.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in the Buffalo, NY area and if I put the CP's outside, without any help, in a normal winter, they'd likely be dead. I have my VFT's, Sarracenias, and temperate sundews in portable min-bogs and I tote them up to the attic, once the temps are forecasted to be below freezing. I place them at a window sill, just as they are, uncovered. I water them sparingly and wait for them to wake up - which they have for me, one by one, beginning in February.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't do anything I barely water

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What?? Nobody uses bearskin???????
    45 yrs. growin\'