What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am a bad CP owner.

These are phyllodia:

phyllodia1.JPG

phyllodia2.JPG

Full size pics are here:

http://steve.nightscapecreations.com/phyllodia/phyllodia1f.JPG
http://steve.nightscapecreations.com/phyllodia/phyllodia2f.JPG

I am pretty sure that I have those in the bogs. I would go outside to look but it is cold and dark. So what did you say? That I should keep those in there? If I do would they cause harm to the CPs?

I use Schultz fungicide/mitacide/insecticide. I never have any fungi but I keep some fungicide for seeds and cuttings as a preventative measure. I don't go to lowes but I'm sure they have it. Clearly's or Clearies or whatever is good, too.

Is it that there is a Schultz fungicide and a Schultz insecticide or is it all 3 in one?

It's 3 in one. They probably make just a fungicide but i've never seen it.

Phyllodia ARE the leaves of your sarracenia this time of year. Every year they switch leaf forms. No bugs in the winter so no use making pitchers. these are strictly for photosynthesis.

Thank you so much for telling me that. If you didnt i may of tooken those out and thrown them away! Would it be okay if I left the non CPs in there? Will they harm the plants? Or could I remove them later?

Your "non-CPs" may just be phyllodia. Examine the plants carefully in the daylight. If they are coming up from the same place as the dried out pitcher leaves then most likely they are phyllodia. Each species produces different looking phyllodia so they may not look exactly as the photos above.

If they are phyllodia then your plants are probably dormant and still alive :boogie:

They will not harm the plants, but don't remove them until they turn brown naturally. They are necessary to keep your plants alive in the winter.

Read the Sarracenia chapter in "The Savage Garden". Peter D'Amato talks about phyllodia there.

Does the parrot pitcher plant ,s psittacina, do anything like that for winter? I also had those in the bogs. I know its been said to keep the soil damp but how much water should I give each bog a week?

Back