Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I am a bad CP owner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay I will try to do this soon, but it probally be this coming up weekend. What mix do you suggest? BTW I think they are trumpets and I live in the panhandle of Florida. And how should I remove the plants?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same way its always done. Pull them out of the soil, wash the rhizome off, empty the mini bog, fill with fresh Canadian Sphagnum peat moss, wet well, plant the pitcher plants, put them outside where they like it, full sun, and pray like crazy they survive the ill treatment. They are tough, but everything has its limits!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So 3 options: 1.Just take the non CPs out and care for the plants.
    2. Put the CPs into pots.
    3. Take everything out put a new mixture in and put the CPs back in.
    I think I would prefer to do number one for now. On a rate of -1 to -10 which would yall place the plants' chances of survival?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reg View Post
    I think I would prefer to do number one for now. On a rate of -1 to -10 which would yall place the plants' chances of survival?
    Difficult to say. Are the bog pots outdoors, sitting neglected in the yard? How long have they been neglected? Have they ever dried out or has there been enough rainfall to keep any sort of dampness? Are the non-CPs green and growing or are they dried up too?
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are outdoors and they have been neglected since like sept. Most of the noncps are green and are doing fine. the posts ,for somereason, have been staying moist. One of the plants looks better then the other one but they both are green and are still sorta "stiff." And incase if yall were wonderng what the mix is I am unsure but I am pretty sure it is just peat(SP?).

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plants may just be dormant. They tend to start going dormant towards the end of October, but varies depending on location and millions of other factors. If Sept & October had some rain I'd say the chances they are dormant is pretty good. If you had Drosera intermedia which likes very wet conditions it may not have survived but could still be ok.

Just weed out or cut down some of the non-CPs and keep the potting mixture damp (not waterlogged). Come spring hopefully you'll start seeing some growth, and you can start watering more.

How big are the pots?

Do you know what kind of pitcher plants and sundews are in there?
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    The plants may just be dormant. They tend to start going dormant towards the end of October, but varies depending on location and millions of other factors. If Sept & October had some rain I'd say the chances they are dormant is pretty good. If you had Drosera intermedia which likes very wet conditions it may not have survived but could still be ok.

Just weed out or cut down some of the non-CPs and keep the potting mixture damp (not waterlogged). Come spring hopefully you'll start seeing some growth, and you can start watering more.

How big are the pots?

Do you know what kind of pitcher plants and sundews are in there?
    I think it has a 15 - 20 in. diameter the sundews were some kind of pygmys. I dont see them anymore but I do not know if they are dead. The pitcher plants were yellow trumpets. Before I started to neglect them they both had some kind of thing growing on them or something. I dont think the pitchers at the time were dying but they were turning a redish purple spots on them. Like this http://www.plantpath.wisc.edu/soyhea...topside_lg.jpg.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pygmy Drosera? Neat. Never saw those in a ready to buy bog before.

If it looked like rust then maybe it was rust.

Stiff sarracenia is a good thing ^_^

If the rhizomes are healthy, I'd spray lightly with fungicide and place in new medium. If they have rotting parts, cut off the rotten part and part of the healthy part just before the rotten part. Treat with a fungicide. Plant in sterile medium (Microwave it. Make sure it's wet first!). If you want, you can water with superthrive to encourage new root production. Keep the crown above the medium. Cut off any dead lives and spray the green leaves with fungicide, too. Put them in full sun and in a shallow tray of water.

After that and after they are back to normal, you really don't do much. Pull an occasional weed, and keep the tray up. If you want to see good pics of Sarracenia in their natural habitat, look at the S. oreophilla sticky at the top. As you can see, all they need is a constant water supply and as much sun as you can provide. Always use the purest water you can and get some experience under your belt before you start experimenting with artificial fertilizers.

If you ever see signs of pests/disease, cut off the affected area and spray with fungicide. Don't use fungicide just for the heck of it, though, as that can help promote fungicide-resistant strains of fungi. Similar in a way that abuse of antibiotics and lead to resistant strains of bacteria.

Ok, hope I covered it all. Remember that sometimes a plant is just beyond repair, and sometimes it's time to throw it away. We can't really know the full extent of your situation without some pictures, but hopefully my little mini guide will help a little.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast