What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am a bad CP owner.

:-( Okay I am a CP killer. I have caused the deaths of many CPs for not taking care of them. Awhile ago i bought 3 minibogs that had pitcherplants and sundews. All of the sundews of died and only two of the bogs (I am unsure but I doubt it) still have their pitcher plants. Because I stopped caring about them and didnt. I am sorry for what I have done but I have two problems. 1. I think the two are dead. I havent watered them much in a long time though they still are green. 2. The mini bogs non CP plants have overgrown like weeds. No chance of them coming back ???? :-(

It depends on the species and how long and how dry you let the bogs get. They plants could be dormant. Weed out the non-CPs (just make sure they are non-CPs) and re-wet the bog mixture until it is damp. Maybe by springtime you'll start seeing some growth.

Could be stupid question:how would i remove the noncps?

Just firmly and gently pull them out. It might be easier with the mixture damp/moist. A pair of tweezers would be helpful with the smaller stuff.

Well the thing I was wandering about is if the Pitcherplants are still alive and I tear out the ones near it I might tear up its roots.

They will be fine. They are very hardy.

I'd just tear up the "bog" and start fresh.

They will be fine. They are very hardy.

I'd just tear up the "bog" and start fresh.

Huh? Are you saying to just forget about them or to take them out of the bog and into pots?

I'm saying you could take them out and put them in pots with fresh medium, or put fresh medium in the old bog-pot and plant them all together again.

That's just what i'd do.

Okay I will try to do this soon, but it probally be this coming up weekend. What mix do you suggest? BTW I think they are trumpets and I live in the panhandle of Florida. And how should I remove the plants?

Same way its always done. Pull them out of the soil, wash the rhizome off, empty the mini bog, fill with fresh Canadian Sphagnum peat moss, wet well, plant the pitcher plants, put them outside where they like it, full sun, and pray like crazy they survive the ill treatment. They are tough, but everything has its limits!

So 3 options: 1.Just take the non CPs out and care for the plants.
2. Put the CPs into pots.
3. Take everything out put a new mixture in and put the CPs back in.
I think I would prefer to do number one for now. On a rate of -1 to -10 which would yall place the plants' chances of survival?

I think I would prefer to do number one for now. On a rate of -1 to -10 which would yall place the plants' chances of survival?

Difficult to say. Are the bog pots outdoors, sitting neglected in the yard? How long have they been neglected? Have they ever dried out or has there been enough rainfall to keep any sort of dampness? Are the non-CPs green and growing or are they dried up too?

They are outdoors and they have been neglected since like sept. Most of the noncps are green and are doing fine. the posts ,for somereason, have been staying moist. One of the plants looks better then the other one but they both are green and are still sorta "stiff." And incase if yall were wonderng what the mix is I am unsure but I am pretty sure it is just peat(SP?).

The plants may just be dormant. They tend to start going dormant towards the end of October, but varies depending on location and millions of other factors. If Sept & October had some rain I'd say the chances they are dormant is pretty good. If you had Drosera intermedia which likes very wet conditions it may not have survived but could still be ok.

Just weed out or cut down some of the non-CPs and keep the potting mixture damp (not waterlogged). Come spring hopefully you'll start seeing some growth, and you can start watering more.

How big are the pots?

Do you know what kind of pitcher plants and sundews are in there?

The plants may just be dormant. They tend to start going dormant towards the end of October, but varies depending on location and millions of other factors. If Sept & October had some rain I'd say the chances they are dormant is pretty good. If you had Drosera intermedia which likes very wet conditions it may not have survived but could still be ok.

Just weed out or cut down some of the non-CPs and keep the potting mixture damp (not waterlogged). Come spring hopefully you'll start seeing some growth, and you can start watering more.

How big are the pots?

Do you know what kind of pitcher plants and sundews are in there?

I think it has a 15 - 20 in. diameter the sundews were some kind of pygmys. I dont see them anymore but I do not know if they are dead. The pitcher plants were yellow trumpets. Before I started to neglect them they both had some kind of thing growing on them or something. I dont think the pitchers at the time were dying but they were turning a redish purple spots on them. Like this http://www.plantpath.wisc.edu/soyhealth/images/rust_topside_lg.jpg.

Pygmy Drosera? Neat. Never saw those in a ready to buy bog before.

If it looked like rust then maybe it was rust.

Stiff sarracenia is a good thing ^_^

If the rhizomes are healthy, I'd spray lightly with fungicide and place in new medium. If they have rotting parts, cut off the rotten part and part of the healthy part just before the rotten part. Treat with a fungicide. Plant in sterile medium (Microwave it. Make sure it's wet first!). If you want, you can water with superthrive to encourage new root production. Keep the crown above the medium. Cut off any dead lives and spray the green leaves with fungicide, too. Put them in full sun and in a shallow tray of water.

After that and after they are back to normal, you really don't do much. Pull an occasional weed, and keep the tray up. If you want to see good pics of Sarracenia in their natural habitat, look at the S. oreophilla sticky at the top. As you can see, all they need is a constant water supply and as much sun as you can provide. Always use the purest water you can and get some experience under your belt before you start experimenting with artificial fertilizers.

If you ever see signs of pests/disease, cut off the affected area and spray with fungicide. Don't use fungicide just for the heck of it, though, as that can help promote fungicide-resistant strains of fungi. Similar in a way that abuse of antibiotics and lead to resistant strains of bacteria.

Ok, hope I covered it all. Remember that sometimes a plant is just beyond repair, and sometimes it's time to throw it away. We can't really know the full extent of your situation without some pictures, but hopefully my little mini guide will help a little.

That photo is not of a pitcher plant though. If the trumpet pitchers were flavas and they are still alive then you should have phyllodia on them. Phyllodia are tall spear shaped non carnivorous leaves, probably around half the height of the original pitchers.

They look like curved Irises (Irii? lol)

Pygmy Drosera? Neat. Never saw those in a ready to buy bog before.

If it looked like rust then maybe it was rust.

Stiff sarracenia is a good thing ^_^

If the rhizomes are healthy, I'd spray lightly with fungicide and place in new medium. If they have rotting parts, cut off the rotten part and part of the healthy part just before the rotten part. Treat with a fungicide. Plant in sterile medium (Microwave it. Make sure it's wet first!). If you want, you can water with superthrive to encourage new root production. Keep the crown above the medium. Cut off any dead lives and spray the green leaves with fungicide, too. Put them in full sun and in a shallow tray of water.

After that and after they are back to normal, you really don't do much. Pull an occasional weed, and keep the tray up. If you want to see good pics of Sarracenia in their natural habitat, look at the S. oreophilla sticky at the top. As you can see, all they need is a constant water supply and as much sun as you can provide. Always use the purest water you can and get some experience under your belt before you start experimenting with artificial fertilizers.

If you ever see signs of pests/disease, cut off the affected area and spray with fungicide. Don't use fungicide just for the heck of it, though, as that can help promote fungicide-resistant strains of fungi. Similar in a way that abuse of antibiotics and lead to resistant strains of bacteria.

Ok, hope I covered it all. Remember that sometimes a plant is just beyond repair, and sometimes it's time to throw it away. We can't really know the full extent of your situation without some pictures, but hopefully my little mini guide will help a little.

What kind of fungicide? Preferberly something you know that sells at lowes. And to tell you the truth I rather not put them in a new pot right now. Maybe later but not now I dont think I have the time and rather not. Is putting them in a new pot or not a life threatening situation for them or jsut something you reccomend?

That photo is not of a pitcher plant though. If the trumpet pitchers were flavas and they are still alive then you should have phyllodia on them. Phyllodia are tall spear shaped non carnivorous leaves, probably around half the height of the original pitchers.

But still that is what the spots look like. Phyllodia?

I use Schultz fungicide/mitacide/insecticide. I never have any fungi but I keep some fungicide for seeds and cuttings as a preventative measure. I don't go to lowes but I'm sure they have it. Clearly's or Clearies or whatever is good, too.

Back