Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: rare treat----pics from Phil Faulisi's place

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bugs...I could prepare a very comfy spot for you in a little side bog!! Thank you all for your kind comments.

JLAP- That pic that you like so much is a select seedling from a cross I made a few years back of S. oreophila x S. moorei "Big Red". S. moorei "Big Red" is a select natural hybrid with a solid raspberry red pitcher. It is the finest breeding stud I have ever encountered. If 'Leah Wilkerson' is the queen of the S. moorei...then "Big Red" is without a doubt the king! They met for the first time last year too!!!!

Phil

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by philcula View Post
    S. moorei "Big Red" is a select natural hybrid with a solid raspberry red pitcher. It is the finest breeding stud I have ever encountered. If 'Leah Wilkerson' is the queen of the S. moorei...then "Big Red" is without a doubt the king! They met for the first time last year too!!!!

Phil
    I can vouch for the beauty of S. moorei "Big Red".. Here are a couple pics of an offspring from my collection...

There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice pics of great Sarrs!! Where does S. moorei "Big Red" originate? It is a beautiful cultivar!! Get it in tissue culture!!

What soil media do you use and how often do you replace/repot the media??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pain about moorie is that the flava parent makes it a real pain to put in TC.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good work Phil! That plant is simply AMAZING! Are those trichomes or nectar that gives it that georgeous velvet appearance?

You are ony very talented individual with an awesome collection

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phil, I just may take you up on that!!!! Beware I don't put down roots though. And please, don't pull me out and ship me to VFT Guy!!!!! He might take my picture----and we don't need that!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ship you? Pffft... Phil's is only a few minutes from here. I wouldn't let him waste postage on shipping. Rest assured once I have you in my collection pictures WILL be taken. lol
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woodnative- This particular clone or S. moorei comes from Florida. I grow most all of my Sarracenia from 6 inch pots and larger in a 50/50 mix of sphagnum peat and pummice. Large adult plants in the in-ground bog are growing in 50/50 sphagnum peat and #16 grit silica sand (a larger grain size), but this bog has numerous drainage holes drilled 18 inches down. It is 3 feet deep. I find that lots of air spaces or rather large particles mixed into the peat allows more air to the roots...which these plants seem to favor under my conditions.

JLAP- From what I remember at the time the photo was taken, there was no nectar present on the peristome or in the throat. It has always had that shimmering effect so what ever it is that causes it...your guess is as good as mine. I will add one caveat for this plant though. When the pitchers are really fresh and have just attained their deepest, riches color you can see prismatic colors in the throat when the sun hits it at the right angle. This summer I will be crossing this plant with its sibling which I call "Reptilian Rose". It is from the same seed batch but has a green trumpet heavily overlaid with rich rose red veins and the lid...which reached 7 inches across last summer, has a network of veins that form a pattern that looks like the skin of a lizard. It's quite a sight. And oh yes...the lid has a very strong smell of English roses; hence the name "Reptilian Rose". This is not a registered cultivar and I may or may not register it. I have never registered any of my plants. I give special plants in the collection stud names all the time.

BW- You're cracking me up. Is Steve reeeeeeeally that shutter happy?!?? You also wouldn't have to worry about me uprooting you from the bog. It's so deep you would probably sink like it was quicksand!

Be well all.

Phil

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast