What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rare treat----pics from Phil Faulisi's place

vft guy in SJ

VFT and Drosera lover
A rare treat... Pics from Phil Faulisi's place

Hi all.. For those of you that know him, you will know that Phil does not often allow cameras into his greenhouse. I have been privaliged enough to be among the few who have been allowed to take and post pictures of his fabulous collection. These pictures were taken back in mid July 2006. Unfortunately I do not have plant names to attach to the photos at this time.. I will be posting other pics from this series into the appropriate forums.

Enjoy
Steve

Edit: I should add that the main reason why Phil does not allow his collection to be posted on forums is that he gets harassed for cuttings and trades and such... PLEASE allow me to continue to be allowed to show off this great collection and do not harass Phil for his plants.

P1010023.sized.jpg

P1010016.sized.jpg

P1010015.sized.jpg

P1010014.sized.jpg

P1010013.sized.jpg

P1010012.sized.jpg

P1010011.sized.jpg

P1010010.sized.jpg

P1010009.sized.jpg

P1010008.sized.jpg

............. i almost had a heart attack!!!!!!!!!!!! :hail: :hail: :clap: well done Phil!!
Alex

Wow! I think that Cobra Lily is the most amazing one, HUGE. Makes me want to try and raise one that big... FROM SEED.

Very nice. Love these pics. The third pic is probably my fave :)

Bugweed: better step up! hes shunning you :p just kidding. you both have great Sarracenia collections.
Alex

That's ok Mr. G. I told you all in the thread VFT Guy took of my babies, and told you then Phil and John Hummer have bigger, and more beautiful plants than mine. I DO have some healthy nice ones, but there are none better IMHO, than Phil's And this is the first time I have ever seen them. Steve? Do you think he could let me sleep there?

Bugs...I could prepare a very comfy spot for you in a little side bog!! Thank you all for your kind comments.

JLAP- That pic that you like so much is a select seedling from a cross I made a few years back of S. oreophila x S. moorei "Big Red". S. moorei "Big Red" is a select natural hybrid with a solid raspberry red pitcher. It is the finest breeding stud I have ever encountered. If 'Leah Wilkerson' is the queen of the S. moorei...then "Big Red" is without a doubt the king! They met for the first time last year too!!!!<wink>

Phil

S. moorei "Big Red" is a select natural hybrid with a solid raspberry red pitcher. It is the finest breeding stud I have ever encountered. If 'Leah Wilkerson' is the queen of the S. moorei...then "Big Red" is without a doubt the king! They met for the first time last year too!!!!<wink>

Phil

I can vouch for the beauty of S. moorei "Big Red".. Here are a couple pics of an offspring from my collection...

mbg1.JPG

mbg2.JPG

mbg4.JPG

Very nice pics of great Sarrs!! Where does S. moorei "Big Red" originate? It is a beautiful cultivar!! Get it in tissue culture!!

What soil media do you use and how often do you replace/repot the media??

The pain about moorie is that the flava parent makes it a real pain to put in TC.

Very good work Phil! That plant is simply AMAZING! Are those trichomes or nectar that gives it that georgeous velvet appearance?

You are ony very talented individual with an awesome collection :)

Phil, I just may take you up on that!!!! Beware I don't put down roots though. And please, don't pull me out and ship me to VFT Guy!!!!! He might take my picture----and we don't need that!

Ship you? Pffft... Phil's is only a few minutes from here. I wouldn't let him waste postage on shipping. Rest assured once I have you in my collection pictures WILL be taken. lol

Woodnative- This particular clone or S. moorei comes from Florida. I grow most all of my Sarracenia from 6 inch pots and larger in a 50/50 mix of sphagnum peat and pummice. Large adult plants in the in-ground bog are growing in 50/50 sphagnum peat and #16 grit silica sand (a larger grain size), but this bog has numerous drainage holes drilled 18 inches down. It is 3 feet deep. I find that lots of air spaces or rather large particles mixed into the peat allows more air to the roots...which these plants seem to favor under my conditions.

JLAP- From what I remember at the time the photo was taken, there was no nectar present on the peristome or in the throat. It has always had that shimmering effect so what ever it is that causes it...your guess is as good as mine. I will add one caveat for this plant though. When the pitchers are really fresh and have just attained their deepest, riches color you can see prismatic colors in the throat when the sun hits it at the right angle. This summer I will be crossing this plant with its sibling which I call "Reptilian Rose". It is from the same seed batch but has a green trumpet heavily overlaid with rich rose red veins and the lid...which reached 7 inches across last summer, has a network of veins that form a pattern that looks like the skin of a lizard. It's quite a sight. And oh yes...the lid has a very strong smell of English roses; hence the name "Reptilian Rose". This is not a registered cultivar and I may or may not register it. I have never registered any of my plants. I give special plants in the collection stud names all the time.

BW- You're cracking me up. Is Steve reeeeeeeally that shutter happy?!?? You also wouldn't have to worry about me uprooting you from the bog. It's so deep you would probably sink like it was quicksand!

Be well all.

Phil

Roses! oh man your talented!

I am really loving the pic of the Cobra Lilys.

JLAP- You're too kind. But honestly though...I had no idea that would happen. It's the only clone from the batch that had a fragrant pitcher. Don't know where it came from or why, but it is something else. The fragrance lasted all season but was at its strongest during the early summer months. I HAVE heard from other sources that Sarracenia can be fragrant. I just never experienced it myself.

I am really loving the pic of the Cobra Lilys.
Thanks Reg. Those are my smaller plants. The big ones look even better but.....Steve didn't take any pics of them the last time he was here.

Back