What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am heartbroken!!!!

• Thread starter Bugweed
  • Start date
I don't think I can take it anymore. I am SOOOOOOO in the dumps. Let me tell you about it:

Well, It was last evening. An old friend had called, and had to ask, "Whatya been up to??" Haven't seen this guy in years! So, I told him all about CP, growing, the plants, etc.
This guy sez, "You have plants that murder insects??!!" I am suprised. I say, "Excuse me?" He starts to rant about it not being natural, anybody who grows things like that, and so on and so on--blah, blah, blah. So anyway, this guy sez I have a screw loose. I say, "Well, been good to talk to you again after such a long time. See ya! Bye!" And click goes the phone. I think about what this guy said, my loose screw, etc. I would have broke down completely, But I have to stop laughing first! Good day all. The Weedmaster is nuts!

Yeah, I've heard the same thing tons of times.....
they just think that they're too good for CPs..... but CPs are just too good for them.
lol

Don't know anything about that. Just know I am still trying to feel bad, but I can't stop laughing about the garbage I heard from this guy. I am searching still for my loose screw!

I think you spelled it wrong- it's "natch'rul".... as in "you dun ben gitting in with them thair thins whut ain't natch'rul"

Shame on ya Bugs, maybe some nice Crassula or something could put you on the straight and (BORING) and narrow eh??

I am searching still for my loose screw!

You should check next to those spilled marbles over there.

Yeah, I've heard a lot of crazy stuff about CPs from people who didn't know anything 'bout them, but what can you do? People just aren't used to having passive things suddenly become, well, passive, except then have the ability to digest what they catch. Lol, these plants don't really move any more than others, cept for VFTs maybe.

-Ben

Send your 'friend' my way Bugs. I'll see that he has an...epiphany! :-O

How many pieces does this epiphany come in, Phil? LOLOL!!! Still laughing about this. Jist ain't natchurl!

I've only had one person say that my obsession with these plants is "creepy" - everyone else I've ever told has been fascinated by the idea that there are other carniverous plants besides Dionaea. Or they say, "wow you get those to grow, trust me they won't last long, I've tried those before, it's a sales gimmick"--

this one kid at my school thinks i have a morbid fascination with the torturing of god's creatures(i go to a catholic high school). then i showed him a picture of a Nepenthes one day (and he didnt know it was a carnivorous plant) and he wanted one. i told him what it was and how they killed the bugs and he just looked at me, said "may god have mercy on your morbid soul" and walked away. he kinda freaked me out....... then my girlfriend saw the picture of the "bunny flower" aka U. sandersonii and she thought that i made it. and then was even more surprised when she saw it and how small it was!!! when i first started this craze all i had was a S. 'Judith Hindle' and then D. adalae. my dad kept telling me that they wouldnt live and was wasting my money. i proved HIM wrong though!!
Alex

You should of went on with the charade, Alex!

Offer him a cutting, let him develop an appreciation for the plant, tell him the pitchers are just the plant's water reserves and see how long it takes him to figure it out. :devil:

Most people I talk to are also facinated. I have yet to run into someone who has talked about how creepy it is (except for the casual joke).

xvart.

yeah, and sometimes I'm even somewhat reluctant to tell people because I'm afraid that they are going to make a big deal about it.

You should of went on with the charade, Alex!

Offer him a cutting, let him develop an appreciation for the plant, tell him the pitchers are just the plant's water reserves and see how long it takes him to figure it out. :devil:

haha! it wasnt my plant. is was a picture i got off google of N. Spectabilis.
Alex

Uh... how can a plant of all things be un-natural?

Uh... how can a plant of all things be un-natural?
??? ??? i guess the point that YOU(someitmes) feed them and they dont catch them on their own. if you grow them outside....thats a different story. i just found a spider in my house and i put it on my N. sanguinea. it made a dash for the nearest nectar source(thirsty?) and kept drinking. after about 6 stops it was finally at the persimtone where it started to look drunk. it finally fell into the pitcher...all i ever did was put the spider on the plant. amazing how nature is :). i thought it was VERY cool how the plant did it all by its self!
Alex

Lol, I can't imagine how someone would get that pissed lol

Even my friends who are in PETA think it's cool lol.

Poor veddy... I should look her up.

Does'nt shock me really, its amazing how narrow minded people can be.

Its very natural for these plants to catch insects.

Drew, You know it, I know it, but some folks don't get it. It is almost like the carnivorous plants are in some way creepy. They draw on that, and their lack of knowledge.

Probably the best thing to say to the creeped out folks is, "well, I guess I shouldn't tell you what I actually have to do to keep them alive" (said while gingerly sucking on one finger and wincing)--

I get the feeling that he would have reacted negatively if you had said you were a accomplished rose breeder as well (ain't natural for a man to grow and like roses I sometimes am told) so you cant win. Or he might agree with it, as they are not threatening. Humm... grow ones with thorns to puncture tractor tires, like me :)

Try not to feel bad its not you with the problem. I often have to tell myself that many times but I still feel bad.

I’m sorry to hear of your woes

Back