What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heli media: What do you use?

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
I am considering a major revamp of my Heli set up. They are not doing poorly, I just think they could do better.

One of the things I am looking to change is my media. I am just curious as to what others have found successful.

So, please post here what you grow your Helies in.

Thanks

For Helis I just use equal parts LFS and perlite and a bit of some peat. They're not too picky, they also seem to enjoy vermiculite. Hope that helps! :-D

By the way, I got a sweet new pitcher on my Pulchella from Wistuba - It's a mature pitcher! Yay

I use some LFS, a buncha lava rocks, perlite in a light base of peat. Forget if I threw Orchid bark in there or not. I also grow mine with a plastic baggie over em, for humidity and my temps are like high of 69F and I dunno what the night low is even (should check though) Summer highs are like around 80 I think (I forgot)
My Tequilla's are growing great though!!!

i use live sphagnum for my 2 helis. so far they are at least growing which is a good sign.... but i cant really say they will grow better in it.
Alex

Mostly cypress bark with LFS and a little bit of peat. I have live LFS ontop to help with humidity and to keep the mix from drying out. I think getting air to the roots is helpful.

I grow the following heli's in live LFS:

chimantensis (Chimanta, Venezuela)
folliculata (Aparaman Tepui, Venezuela)
heterodoxa
heterodoxa x ionasii
heterodoxa x minor
hispida 'clone PA'
ionasii (Ilu Tepui)
minor (Auyan Tepui, Venezuela)
minor 'hairy' (Chimanta)
neblinae
nutans
nutans 'Giant'
pulchella (Akopan Tepui)
sarracenioides 'H2s'
tatei var. tatei (Cerro Duida)
'Tequila'

I never had any luck with peat-based media.

Ken

A picture of my Heli 'Tequilla's grown by the method I mentioned. Shortly after dividing & repotting.
H.jpg

HEy Q,

What size pot??

It's not as big as it looks, close-up shot & I don't know how to scale the pic smaller... probly 6" across Yo

Back