What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strong Winds!!!!!!!

Today the wind was so strong (40mph) that it blew two of my 1 gallon pots (with my pitcher plants and vft). In all of the chaos I had to quickly mix up a five gallon bucket of peat moss and perlite and quickly repot. As you probably well know, peat moss takes a very long time to get "soaked", but I didn't have this much time. I used a old trick where I mixed in some lfs. For some reason, the lfs seems to makes the peat moss mix better and I ended up with a five gallon bucket full of wet peat moss in just 10 minutes! I quickly repotted everything, and they appear to be doing fine so far. Hopefully they will not have any signs of shock as I wasn't ready to repot them. Is it too early to repot and divide my other plants, or should I begin repotting the rest of my plants right about now?
Thanks,
Tyler

I just repot my plants whenever I feel like it. I've never noticed any differences.

I'm convinced that Sarracenia is THE hardiest genus. They'll be fine.

Peat is slow to rewet, but when I'm repotting over winter I use 50% dry stuff. This dries even further over the next few weeks but when I put water back into the trays in March, it easily soaks up all the water over 1 36-48 hour period.

Sarracenia rubra aren't supposed to like being repotted. It's supposed to slow their growth for up to a year.

The key with peat moss is to warm the water up to luke warm or a little warmer. The peat will readily soak it up then!

Tom

Back