Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In addition to the drainage and air, it is good to mound up the pot, so it is highest in the middle, where the plant is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this species doesnt seem to like it to wet or to dry......................my method is a large pot(my plant was only about 1.5 inches across when i put it in an 7 inch diameter/9 inch tall pot), mound the soil up, place Ceph in the center and keep it in a tray with 1/2 inch of water. soil-fairly airy mix, especially in the lower levels of the pot. it seems to be doing well.......ive kept this one alive far longer than the previous two i had, small pots gave me troubles as the soil was either to wet or to dry, constant just moist is easy to obtain in a larger pot
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still question the wet thing, I have one growing in a 9cm X 7cm(tall) container in live sphagnum. It sits constantly in 1-3 cm of water. It grows very well and now has many growth points. I think airy is the key.

Nice looking plant Slau! I may try one of mine outside in the shade for the summer to see how it does!
    All proofs inevitably lead to propositions that have no proof. All things are known because we want to believe in them.

My Growlist updated with available trades and pictures - PM if interested

slau
    Thanks for the tips on the moss everyone. The moss is very precious in Singapore cause it's not supposed to be able to grow in our weather. And its difficult to import. So a part of me has been trying to keep the moss alive but I need to convince myself to sacrifice it if it is necessary to keep the cephalotuse alive.

My cephalotuses are getting overrun by the moss now. And the moss is in a battle with algae in the pot. It's a 3 way race and the cephalotus is at the bottom. Do you guys normally dig the moss off when it starts to overrun the ceph? Or leave it all alone?

Some of the cephalotus pitcher balls are turning green cause the moss is soaking off all the light now.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slau,

I am no expert but IMHO i would immediately slow down on the overhead watering, that will have a big effect on the sphagnum growth... trim the sphagnum as much as possible then I would foliar feed with cotton swabs, (this will help slow any further algae growth resulting from spray foliar feeding and help the ceph's growth rate).... i use a weak orchid mix once or twice a month... I apply to the outside of the pitchers as well as the leaves.... about two weeks later you will notice a surge in growth

if that doesn't do it, then you will have to do something more intense

some of your sphag looks like S. squarrosum to me, probably one of the most adaptable and toughest varieties...really nice stuff but it will outgrow your ceph given half a chance

Av

comment: Slau, look at the ceph pics that have been posted lately... in most you will notice the sphag has brown or black tips... that is a result of not enough water for the sphagnum to continue to grow, puts the sphag in sort of a dormant condition it seems, alive but not actively growing.... but what works for one doesn't always work for another... cephs seem to have their own personalities sometimes

I try to keep the sphag tips black or brown not "dry and white" nor "green and growing"

Last edited by Av8tor1; 03-04-2007 at 05:15 PM. Reason: add comment

slau
    Thanks for the tip sir. I actually tried to take out the sphagnum to trim it back but it dug the cephalotus out with it. Not a very pleasant experience. I stuck em all back in now and now the waiting game sets in to see if my ceph lives or dies from being dug up. ;_;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is anyone growing Cephalotus in a terrarium? If so how many hours of light are you giving it? thanks David

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where can I buy Cephalotus plants in a fairly mature size? David

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast