What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

toppling pitchers

growergray

Just a guy
Hey guys,
I received a young(maybe 2 yrs old) Sarracenia Judith Hindle about three months ago.
Problem: every time it rains with much force, the small pitchers fill up and the entire plant(all three pitchers plus developing leaves) tips over. The pot remains upright and the crown remains entirely intact. Any suggestions? Should I try repotting(using the same pot and mix it is currently in) to secure the crown better? Any help is greatly appreciated.

If it rains too hard it can damage pitchers regardless of how old or sturdy they are. I've had huge beautiful pitchers on the very verge of opening... only to have the rain break them.

You can purchase smal, plastic trellises to hold them up. JBL once sent me some Sarrs, with one of them bolstering a plant.

What size pot and what mix do you have it in?

Three inch pot, I believe half peat half perlite(that's how it came).

yeah, that also seemed to be a problem for me until i moved them into more light, then the problem stopped

Is the rhizome uprooting or just floppy pitchers? More light is, as Dave points out, is usually the cure for the latter. The current leaves will always be floppy but new leaves will grow sturdier with more light.

If the former repotting is probably the best cure. Sand might be better than perlite in your situation. Sarrs are supposed to grow well in sand/peat too, though most of the Sarr growers here prefer perlite. Maybe just a bigger/deeper pot and planting the rhizome deeper will solve the problem.

Back