Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting flower stalks..

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cutting flower stalks..

I was wondering how tall you all let your flower stalks grow before you cut them. I have stalks ranging from anywhere between 6" tall and just emerging from the crown. Is there a benefit to clipping them early or letting them grow out a bit?

Thanks
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a question on top of your question! I was doing some general cleanup fo my minibogs and removed the obvious dead leaves. But there are many leaves that are green / red for part of the leaf and crispy brown for the top portion. Does one only remove the obvious dead part or the whole leaf?

Does one need to snip the stalks, as one might do with VFT's? I'm new to the pitcher plant flower stalk thing, both Neps & Sarrs. I actually have one of each, for the first time, and not really sure what to do with them.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anything that's red/green can photosynthesize. I cut off yellowing leaves that are still greenish. Some people go all-natural.

I just select a portion of the plant to cut and cut EVERYTHING living or dead. Much nicer. You can see an example of that in my rhizome pics dead bog garden thread.

I snip ALL flower stalks. I can't comment on the VFT specifically since I can't keep one alive for more than a year lol. What you REALLY need to do is PM me with your address if you can

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I snip VFT stalks as soon as I can get the scissors to them. Thats part of the reason I ask the question in the first place. I have seen other Sarracenia growers with clipped stalks 6-10" tall on their plants. Mainly I am just looking for a general idea on when people clip the flowers.

Jim, the reason I want to clip the flowers this season is because #1 I let them all flower last year, and #2 because I just repotted and divided them.

When cleaning up a plant I usually clip everything as close to the rhizome as possible and leave like 4 or 5 phylodia, chopped at about 5 inches height. This winter I repotted and divided my entire collection so almost everything got "scalped" as suggested by JLAP above.. look at the pics I posted in this thread.. http://terraforums.com/forums/showth...106967&page=12

A few plants avoided the scalping but you can get the general idea...
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the pictoral description. Now I have a better idea.

Back to your question.... so are Sarracenia flowers VIFT's? s the idea to maximize energy and new growth?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter recommends clipping the flowers ASAP on fresh divisions. Most Sarr growers I've talked to say it doesn't matter. One or two say clip them just before they start producing seed.

As for VFT's look at this post of mine.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never have clipped Sarr's flowers even on newly divided plants. Vft's however Iclip as soon as i can get scissors to them. jack
    'Celebrate the birth of our nation by blowing a little piece of it up'.The Simpsons.
    My grow list ~http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=107403

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes Jim, although I have read many times that flowering does not stress Sars like VFTs, I am going on the assumption that clipping them will force the plant to focus on pitchers.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I am gonna go ahead and clip them all tonight.

Cheers
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast