What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why only half a plant flower?

CP30

A Cajun(isc) Carnivore
I have flava rugellii that has flowered prolifically the last few years. This year only half the plant seems to want to flower. Why???
2005:
springflavaflowerRS.jpg

2006:
Rugelii06.jpg

2007: :0o:
100_5507.jpg

Because that is how the plant wanted to do its blooming this year. Remember, they do things sometimes without rhyme or reason to us sometimes, but they have a plant reason for everything.

If those are sprouts of new crowns, that might explain it.

Ant, it really doesn't explain anything where the plant is concerned. New crowns are grown on an already mature plant. They have the same ability to produce buds as any mature plant. This S. flava just decided it needed half the flowers it did last year. No thing, and it happens. It may have to do with certain stresses put on the plant during winter. Since the plant doesn't talk, we may never know.

My guess is the plant thought 10,000 seeds is enough for this year. You know, the small family, time for kids idea. But that's a prolific flava alright! Like enough to spoil your dinner if you forget to close the back window. BTW I like the natural bog look in that tub. I might try that.

Peter

Well, Sarr rhizomes do grow in a particular direction, right? It's not like a potato that just swells up underground and grows straight up every season - the rhizome gradually elongates with each new leaf, running parallel to the surface of the soil. It might be that you planted it with the growth points near the center of the pot, and now, 2+ years later, they've grown all the way over to the side. If it really bothers you, try repotting it next year and look to see where the points are.
~Joe

Seedy one, rhizomes grow sometimes in many directions. Don't limit the rhizome to only one direction as you may find yours suddenly expanding from all sides. Some S. flava do that regularly, some do not. My S.r. ssp. alabamensis is going haywire growing in five different directions as it is. Same with some of my S. alata.

My guess is the plant thought 10,000 seeds is enough for this year. You know, the small family, time for kids idea.
LOL - this lady has a nanny - me! She has plenty of time for the kids!
BTW I like the natural bog look in that tub.
I figured the alata I have seen grow in pine needles, it might help the flava. Realize I added the needles for the the first time last year while it was flowering. Hmmmm...
But that's a prolific flava alright! Like enough to spoil your dinner if you forget to close the back window.
Huh?
rhizomes grow sometimes in many directions.
Sure enough, Bugs is right, most of mine grow in several directions at once. This one has grown to 2 sides of the pot and begun to turn!

Since the plant doesn't talk, we may never know.
WAIT!! BUGS - I thought you were the plant whisperer!! You've shattered my image of you

< mental bubble> Bugs bent over listening to his plants complaints about the neighbors, an unruly bug in the pitcher, a pesky catepillar nibbling foliage, etc<poof>

:poke:

He means that the flowers smell like cat pee :)

Mine smell good! Even my wife thinks so - one of the few positive comments she has had about my obsession, er, ah, hobby.

Why would you know what cat pee smells like?:glare:

Since I own two cats, I sure would know.

Oh I know, Bugs - I'm just suggesting an explanation. We can't ask the plant why it flowered on one side and not the other, like you said, but it's easy check to see where the points are while repotting, which is something that has to happen every now and then anyways. Scientific method and all that jazz.
~Joe

I you sure your cats make it seem that way.:-))

My guess is the plant thought 10,000 seeds is enough for this year. You know, the small family, time for kids idea.

Planned parenting at it's best. Maybe it's catholic?

xvart.

Maybe your plant caught less insects last year? Every seed is a packet of energy, so maybe less prey means less flowers.

You'll smell cat pee when standing in a field of flowering flavas. Not sure what "good smell" you and your wife are sensing. You might have an odddity on your hands.

Oh...and no one else's plants talk?

Maybe it's catholic?

LMAO!

"Eeeeevery seed is saaaacred, eeeevery seed is great! If a seed gets wasted, God gets quite irate."

-Adaptation from the Meaning of Life.

I hear if a Sarracenia wastes its seed it grows hair on it's alas :0o:

Back