Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia oreophila seed id ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sarracenia oreophila seed id ?

Hi, I was given some s oreophila mixed forms seeds a while back, and was wonedering if these are pure s oreophila or a hybrid? they are growing well and are about an inch in hight.
    thanks,
    Zero
    SK-8 OR DIE

growlist

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the person to ask would be Bugweed himself. I would hazzard a guess to say they are likely pure, but with all of his plants and all of his flowers they really could be anything.
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when he said he was giving me "mixed seeds" of oreophila, he said they were the species just from different bogs meaning the have location data...
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok thanks. didn't know they were from bugweed.
    they are growing great!
    peace,
    Zero
    SK-8 OR DIE

growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any seeds I may give out are always labeled as to County, and a nearby town. I don't hold with all the secrecy as to where these guys live, so I let you know where they came from. If the eggheads in charge were really smart, they would cut loose with seed from all the locales with the STUPID ICPS location codes, and we could grow til our hearts content. Once the pressure is off these areas where they grow, and poaching becomes abated from all the sharing we are prone to do, then perhaps they will open their habitats to us all to see them in "the natch"! Who needs to poach a plant that you have already. Trying to hatch them out, and sit on them and NOT SHARE is the main reason these guys are poached, and the eggheads are indeed at fault. Stupid reasoning equals stupid results aka poaching.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So no one has an opinion on the secrecy of location oreo's? No input on spreading the "wealth" of S. oreophilas color forms and locations to the public to alleviate poaching from these sites? No one cares if the Clay County forms are placed into cultivation?? Are you guys dead? Or do you just not care?
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the eggheads in charge were really smart, they would cut loose with seed from all the locales with the STUPID ICPS location codes, and we could grow til our hearts content. Once the pressure is off these areas where they grow, and poaching becomes abated from all the sharing we are prone to do, then perhaps they will open their habitats to us all to see them in "the natch"! Who needs to poach a plant that you have already.
    You're right in one respect - if everyone could grow locale forms then it would be good in the long run. On the other hand, anyone who's going to make the effort to poach would find it easier if they knew where to go for a nice rarity. They'll be people out there who'd like to nab a rare plant in the wild, regardless of what's in cultivation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe so, but there would be less poaching for profit alone. I personally believe the poaching in these areas is an inside job. Some egghead trying to make extra bread. Still, it would be negligible (poaching) if we could already get those forms desired by many folks. Sitting on them and hoarding them only drives prices up, making a lucrative profit for someone on the inside. I would know in a heartbeat just who if I were at a site that was poached the day before I got there. All I would have to do is keep my mouth shut and listen, and I could point the guy out real quick. They aren't as smart as they think they are.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast