User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus suddenly putting out larger pitchers - norm?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Humm, well, I think there could be a yes here.

I did not witness this first hand, but when I received my Cephalotus 'German Giant' I noticed something odd. First off, there was no non-carnivorous leaves. Second, there were very tiny pitchers, slightly larger than those, then only 1 pitcher that was quite big compared to the others, there was no in between versions between the small but slightly larger than the 'tiny pitchers' I talked about first and the 'large pitcher', it seemed as if it just skipped a gap, then next to this large pitcher was an even LARGER pitcher, not as big of a gap skip, but I would've expected something in between. The new pitcher coming in is roughly the same size as the biggest so far, maybe a mm or two larger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is also doing this. It was weird. I was checking it out and then I see about 3 traps that are huge compared to the others. What do you mean temperature drops? Do they need to drop during night or seaason?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think there needs to be a temp drop. I never saw that there needed to be a big one. The plants like Heliamphoras, Highland Neps, and Darlingtonia go in the chilly window. My other Highland Neps are RIGHT next to the Fluorescent light, so, when the light goes off, the heat does too, so it's hotter there so they should experience a big enough drop.

I never encountered anything for Cephs though, I hope that just the light it's near going off is enough. If it needs a big drop, I won't change anything, as it'll be outside in 2 weeks or so hopefully.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few years ago I had one that I kept on a 18/6 photoperiod for an extended length of time (over a year), it developed all summer leaves... not one single pitcher (rather large clump) even though the plant had experienced it's normal winter/summer temp variation

I shortened the photoperiod and the traps started forming

so from my personal experience, photoperiod is a key factor

Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My ceph did what was described. Small plant, small traps...no non-trap leaves..then suddenly puts on much larger traps- have a look at my post on our Canadian Website-

http://ocps.proboards78.com/index.cg...2914622&page=3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Thanks, Curlingguy. Your Cephs look great and they are growing very quickly! I keep my Cephs under covers with a hole at the top too. Are your temperatures cool like in the 60s? Mine are always in the 80s.
    Cindy

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This little guy was a leaf sprout, as survivor from a plant that died suddenly. I keep it at an unheated window sill and let nature determine its photoperiod. We're still in winter mode, so it may be another month before I see some good growth.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Notice how the shape of the hood changed over a week. This fellow is now standing at slightly more than half inch tall. Nothing great compared to what some of you get from mature plants but I am loving it.

Cindy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast