User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus suddenly putting out larger pitchers - norm?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cephalotus suddenly putting out larger pitchers - norm?

Pardon my pathethic memory, but I read somewhere on this forum that this species grows very slowly but will suddenly put out significant larger pitchers. True? And is it normal for young plants to do that?
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cindy, it depends on what the comparison is. Are you talking seedling Cephs that then put out their first mature pictures which are quite large compared to the baby pitchers?
    Or are you talking a mature plant that suddenly puts out even larger pitchers?
    How large is large? I think some of the "giant" varieties range from 5cm plus?
    Peter.
    Please check my website for photos:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/minicatt/sets

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah they like to do that. You'll have a juvi with one adult pitcher Looks weird but good things are yet to come!

Until you let it dry out I could kick myself lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you mighta read that in Barry Rice's totally awesome book. They do seem to do that, they go from the baby pitchers to smallish mature pitchers and that can be quite a jump sometimes. Then constitantly growing larger and larger pitchers as it goes along.
    Mine have been going from little baby pitchers to slighty less little mature pitchers to slighty larger mature pitchers... etc till almost fully grown.
    I kinda like the gradual growth as opposed to the explosion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
    Pardon my pathethic memory, but I read somewhere on this forum that this species grows very slowly but will suddenly put out significant larger pitchers. True? And is it normal for young plants to do that?
    When I propagate them, this seems to be the pattern I get. 1/4" pitchers for a significant period then a jump up to pitchers 1/2" to 3/4". Sometimes they stay in the 'produce small pitchers' mode for quite a while (6 mo - 1 year+) before producing full size models.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year my mature plant sat doing nothing until July and then burst into life!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    1/4" pitchers for a significant period then a jump up to pitchers 1/2" to 3/4". Sometimes they stay in the 'produce small pitchers' mode for quite a while (6 mo - 1 year+) before producing full size models.
    RL7836, that's exactly what I have experienced. The pitchers are about 3/8" of about a year and suddenly, a pitcher about 50% larger is produced. I haven't done anything to it other than leaving it alone...I've killed quite a few Cephs before because of moving them here and there, trying to get them to grow "better".

Thanks everyone! I am glad that the plant is just happily doing what it would usually do. Keeping Cephs alive in Singapore is a feat because we have no significant temperature drops year round...80-90F both day and night except from November to January. I think it is because of this that my plant has not yet produced any non-carnivorous leaves since it arived last year.

This is the plant.
    Cindy

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking clump of Cephs Cindy. Mine is only producing the non-carnivorous leaves right now, though there are a few pitures from this last winter. Can't wait for it to kick in and look like yours.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast