What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More pics of Phil's collection 2006

vft guy in SJ

VFT and Drosera lover
Hey all.. I was in the neighborhood today and dropped in on Phil Faulisi. He gave me a few photos he took of his collection last summer to scan and post for him.

Enjoy,
Steve

S. moorei "Big Red"
01s.sized.jpg

S. catesbaei x purpurea
02s.sized.jpg

S. catesbaei x oreophila
03s.sized.jpg

S. flava rubricorpora x moorei "Big Red"
04s.sized.jpg

S. flava ornata
05s.sized.jpg

S. alata black throat x flava rubricorpora- mixed seed clones
06s.sized.jpg

Display Bog #1
07s.sized.jpg

Display Bog #2
08s.sized.jpg

View of Collection #1
09s.sized.jpg

View of Collection #2
10s.sized.jpg

View of collection #3
11s.sized.jpg

1/3 of the production nursery
12s.sized.jpg

Wow! Marvelous colors Phil. Thanks for posting them Steve!

What can I say besides DAMN!?

It's more like DAAAYUUUUM!!!!

I am glad you all enjoyed the pics. :)

I need to add something here... I am EXTREMELY disappointed that despite my plea to everyone to NOT ask Phil for cuttings/divisions/pieces of his plants, the last time I posted photos of his collection, some people STILL were selfish enough to try anyway. Unfortunately those few have ruined it for everyone.

I posted these photos today becase Phil asked me to. Do not expect me to post any more on my own.

Steve

Looks like heaven to me! Amazing!

Tom

I need to add something here... I am EXTREMELY disappointed that despite my plea to everyone to NOT ask Phil for cuttings/divisions/pieces of his plants, the last time I posted photos of his collection, some people STILL were selfish enough to try anyway. Unfortunately those few have ruined it for everyone.

I posted these photos today becase Phil asked me to. Do not expect me to post any more on my own.

Steve

People piss me off sometimes :censor: .

Man people can be so greedy.

Steve
Steve, I am really disappointed in the people that couldn't honor the request to not bug Phil for plants. Their selfishness has ruined it for the rest of us who could enjoy seeing Phil's plants and hope to some day give him a run for his money with our own well grown plants. Just wish they had shown some maturity and self restraint. It was good while it lasted though and I thank you and Phil both for giving the rest of us a chance to enjoy his plants.

Steve

im all with ya Steve.
Phil's collection is absolutly gorgeous. always has been as far as i know! that S. catesbaei x oreophila is so funny looking!
Alex

Steve

How sad is that! People need to respect others requests. Im speechless... people can be so selfish :nono:

Lovely plants, BTW

Steve

Ugh... That is truly unfortunate. People, when it explicitly states not to ask, not only do you look like a greedy moron when you do and get rejected, it ruins it for everyone! I would never ask simply because I am not in that league to grow such fine specimens! lol.

Maybe those that did beg and ask last time should apologize to Phil and then he will be more likely to share pictures in the future.

Thanks for sharing those!

xvart.

I understand why he's p-eed off, but withholding photos is unfair on the 99% who would never dream of nagging him and who are the genuine growers.

And being precious about photos benefits nobody at the end of the day. Most people love to get their snaps out there and share what they have.

How sad is that! People need to respect others requests. Im speechless... people can be so selfish :nono:

Lovely plants, BTW

your speechless? i made a request of Steve to get pics of Phil's U. humboldti setup this trip and he wasnt able to....................speechless doesnt accurately convey my feelings on the matter.................some ppls :censor: kids

I understand why he's p-eed off, but withholding photos is unfair on the 99% who would never dream of nagging him and who are the genuine growers.

I do not see it as unfair at all. If everytime he posts photos he gets inundated with requests for plants then why bother posting? He allowed it before to make others happy but if the cost is making himself miserable then he should have the right to opt out. I understand his feelings and agree with his actions completely.

And being precious about photos benefits nobody at the end of the day. Most people love to get their snaps out there and share what they have.

Until Steve's first set of pics I do not think Phil had ever posted pics yet he was quite well know for his plant. It is not about denying people photos, it is about keeping his own sanity.

Imagine if you will that for every photo posted you got 2-3 requests for the plant. That is 24-36 for this thread. That is a lot of crap email/PM to have to deal with especially after you specifically asked not to be getting messages like that. And I am sure that every person who did try contacting Phil for a division/cutting/plant justified it as "Well, I am just one person so it won't be that big a deal" but that is the same mindset we tell others not to use when thinking about collecting wild plants. So next time someone specifically asks not to be bothered with requestsfor material then please respect that and if you think that you want to do it anyways because you are just one person and one email is nothing then think a little longer about the fact that probably 50 others have said the same and your email is just one more of the 50 that was not wanted in the first place.

Remember people, one of the top rules here is: RESPECT. That extends to respecting the requests of those that want to be left alone.

Thanks for the support guys. Part of the reason for not wanting to post pics is because I have no way to do it. I must rely on other people to take the pics which is what has been happening for many years. Pyro was 100% dead on that I've never posted pics...yet my plants are still very well known. That's because I have spread a HUGE number of these plants across the US and pics of these are posted by the growers anyways. I know because I've checked many grow lists here. So it's still like my plants are being photographed because they were mine to begin with. Yeah I'm splitting hairs...but so what.

I'm posing pics...or at least having a second party post pics now. They may come few and far between but they will come. And not all of my pics are posted here. My nep pics are shown through the proboards34 forum. Just spreading the cheer equally.

Rattler- I would have let Steve take pics of the U. humboldtii but there wasn't much to see. When I gave you that plant I sent pretty much the other 1/2 of it to another friend. I kept only a very small amount of it...the tiny back growths which are just starting to form leaves. Not much of anything to see at all. Steve knows that with me...it's a pride thing and if I feel a plant is not photo ready I don't want to be...how you would say...caught with my pants down LOL!! Just a quirk of mine that people have to live with.

I'm sincerely happy that people are enjoying these pics of my plants. I'm very grateful to Steve for going through the trouble to do this for me. He is a good friend and one that I trust implicitly. I'm equally as happy that people who have these plants have emailed me since the pics went up and are doing just as well with them. Grow On!!

And for those of you who may be interested and live in the Los Angeles area...I'll be selling an extravaganza of these plants at the famed Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens annual plant sale on May 19 and 20. Being such a prestigious event and my third year vending there..only the best of the collection will be available. Hope to meet some of you then. (plug..plug).

Good Growing All.

Phil

damn pride :crazy: lol was mainly interested in seeing it for academic purposes, as in what your growing it in and a look at the soil surface.........that sorta stuff...........you have described it to me but i was just interested in actually seeing it.................could careless if it was blooming, looked ragged or whatever.........plus wanted another jab at Pyro that if he would listen to me it would grow like a weed.......he hasnt been listening to me and his isnt doing aswell as mine :grin:

Those are beautiful plants Phil!

.........plus wanted another jab at Pyro that if he would listen to me it would grow like a weed.......he hasnt been listening to me and his isnt doing aswell as mine :grin:

Hey, I said I was listening and that I was considering swapping up. I just have not had the time, there are only so many hours in the day. Besides, it has gotten happier now that it is out of the windowsill here and into the crawlspace with the others. So I was going to see what it did there for a while before I looked into disturbing it :p

suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure i believe yah :-D :crazy:

Rattler- The container the U. humboldtii grows in currently is a small 6 inch pot. The soil is 100% pure sphagnum peat moss kept very soggy. The top layer is a thick mat of live sphagnum. All you would have seen was a pot of sphagnum with a few tiny leaves poking out. Before I broke the plant apart it was growing in a standard white plastic dish pan filled with very soggy, mucky peat with a top layer of live sphagnum. Very much like it is now only on a larger scale. I prefer the tub over the standard plastic pot because the runners can freely pop up within the same soil and not out the bottom so I'll be replacing it in there soon.

Back