Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia planters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sarracenia planters

I'm currently growing Sarracenia and VFTs in 12 inch deep plastic planters. The plants seem to be doing well, but the planters have drainage holes which are difficult to plug effectively, so I have to water fairly constantly, which is a royal pain. I'm considering switching over to heavy-duty plastic bus tubs, but I'm concerned by the shallowness of the tubs. Is around 7 inches deep enough to cultivate large Sarracenia and VFTs? Maybe I should just put the planters into the tubs, and use a hybrid mini-bog/tray system? Pics to follow, when the chance presents itself. Suggestions welcome...

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neither genera put out extensive roots. 7 inch tubs will be fine. Plenty people use Rubbermaid tubs for mini-bogs.

Putting you planters in tubs as a jumbo tray system is an excellent idea. Something that Peter D'Amato discusses in his book. You can even put aquatic Utricularia in the tubs as mosquito control.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That should be fine, like Not a Number said.

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This spring I replanted all of my Sarracenia into these tubs:
    (click pic for full size view)

They are 20 x 25 x 7. I am using pure peat as my media kept VERY wet.

As you can see, the extra tubs make great mass-trays.

Good luck,
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice collection. It looks like those tubs work really well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using black baskets used for water lillies, these I then put into 12 qt. rubbermaid containers. They work great and I get excellent growth.
    'Celebrate the birth of our nation by blowing a little piece of it up'.The Simpsons.
    My grow list ~http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=107403

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all. I'd seen the pics of Bugweed's collection, and his plants look like they're mostly growing in tubs about the size I was asking about. It's hard to get a sense of scale in pictures, though. Steve, are thos concrete mixing tubs? I was thinking of getting plastic bus tubs, which are about 15 x 21 x 7, but the extra surface area of tubs like yours would mean buying fewer tubs.

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrod View Post
    Steve, are thos concrete mixing tubs? I was thinking of getting plastic bus tubs, which are about 15 x 21 x 7, but the extra surface area of tubs like yours would mean buying fewer tubs.

Yes those are concrete mixing tubs. They cost about $5 each at Home Depot. So far they are perfect for my needs with the only drawback being that the rounded corners on the bottom waste a lot of space when used as a water tray for pots.
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast