What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora Tequila cultivation queries

Cindy

Staff member
Hi everyone,

I need your help to some questions.

1. How much light does this hybrid need? Is it more like Cephalotus which can do well in bright shade or like highland Neps that can take full sun?

2. What is its need for humidity? I know it is high but how high? Above 70%?

3. Has anyone tried this method of propagation on H. Tequila or other Heliamphora species? And if yes, what is the success rate and which media is best?

THANKS! :D

Hi Cindy,

1. I have tried both, and I prefer to grow them with a lot of indoor light.

2. I have mine growing in less than ideal humidity, probably around the 40% mark at the lowest. More humidity is better in my experience.

3. Yes, on H. minor x heterodoxa in live LFS and quartz sand. It works with other helis, too, but I did not keep track of which ones. When I divide a heli, I plant up anything still green or red, like broken pitchers. I try for divisions with roots, but it does not always work that way. My pitcher cutting are far from 100% success though.

The media I am using the most of now is cypress bark mulch that is topped with live LFS.

Hiya Cindy, howzit goin? Dave's definitely got the nicest Tequilla's I've seen!

I grow mine in high light and kinda cool. In the same temps as my Ceph's, just closer to the lights.

They do very much like their humidity and seem to like to be quite wet too.

I've propped mine by pulling em apart just like Flytraps and replanting. They seem to take quicker in higher humidity and it's worked well for me.

I grow em in a mix of peat w/ perlite, lfs, a buncha lava rock, orchid bark and maybe even some sand. I've heard not to use peat before, but I potted late last year and I don't want to repot again, plus it seems to be working anyways..

Hope this helps!

wow Cindy.... eerrr ahhh thanks, I had just PM'ed someone these same basic questions LOL

Ive recently (very) got my first Tequila

:poke: @ Dave S. LOL must be a karma thing :hail:

Cheers'
Av

Thanks for the compliments. I am big believer in karma.

I'd also like to add the H. x 'Tequila' has adapted well to less than ideal growing conditions and it is my fastest growing heli.

Mine is indoors under lights. It is in a terrarium glass vase thingly and probably has close to 100% humidity!. It does seem to grow very fast.
Peter.

AV, what a coincidence! :-O

I am asking these questions because so far, no one manage to grow helis here and I would really like to try H. Tequila following its reputation for being heat tolerant. Being in summer weather year round, this hybrid is the best chance I have at anything Heliamphora.

Thanks Dave, quogue and pingman for helping me out with the answers...Now armed with more info, I would be more confident in getting the hybrid to do well for me.

Another question for Dave and Pingman though, when you both mentioned that H. Tequila is fastest growing for you, how fast does it grow? It sounds kind of silly but I thought perhaps if the plant grows too quickly, the older pitchers might dry out eventually quickly too. Do you like get new pitchers formed and be fully open within a week?

Anyone actually fertilise your Heliamphora?

Cindy, no--fast is a relative term for Helis!!
Normally they seem very very slow, Tequila seems to be just a bit faster.
The pitchers still take several months to grow to maturity.

If you have air conditioning in your home, you can probably grow this one.
In the summer, my home reaches 80-82 degrees (F) and they seem to be ok.
Peter.

..how fast does it grow? It sounds kind of silly but I thought perhaps if the plant grows too quickly, the older pitchers might dry out eventually quickly too. Do you like get new pitchers formed and be fully open within a week?

Anyone actually fertilise your Heliamphora?

I originally bought two plants in June 2006 and I divided them into about six plants. The pitchers have doubled in size since then, even with the trama of division. I am always able to see a new pitcher forming or growing. The plants did better than I expected during the hottest summer days I experience, but that cannot compare to Singapore. :)

A few weeks perhaps for a new pitcher to grow and open, but I often wait months for other helis.

The pitchers catch some of their own food, but I supplement with koi pellets every now and then.

Dave is right. I've had my 'Tequila' for about, well, close to a year. I had it in an open terrarium with highland neps and a few subtropical pings and droseras in the summer. Max temps of about 80 and min of about 55. It grew ok. In the winter it is in a closed terrarium with upper lowland neps, highlands, and my pings and droseras. Max temps of about 70 min of about 50. It absolutely LOVES these temperatures. And it does grow pretty fast. And it loves to clump up and sometimes produce offshoots. Sometimes you may go a week after a pitcher opens up before seeing a new one start to grow, but after that, two or three weeks of growth produces a larger and more beautiful pitcher than the last. I have it growing in LFS/Perlite/Peat. It seems to do quite fine, but I will more likely change soil to a more airy mixture in the summer. The older pitchers sometimes dry out, but it takes about six months to do so, and you can simply clip them off if it is too unsightly for you, I personally, let them be, since in the wild, they often grow in their own decomposing leaves, but, it's up to you. Anyway, congratulations on getting one, they are very tolerant, and a great first time heli. Oh, and the humidity should stay pretty high for fast growth. Hope I helped ... just a little bit.

rockstarcobain, I appreciate all the help you can offer...even if you feel it is just a little bit. You actually answered another query about whether I should or should not remove the older and browned leaves. :wave:

Dave, you propably divided the plant because you have prior experienced with helis. All of my encounters ended up with shrivelled plants within a week. I used to think that they need to be standing in water like the Sarracenias...then I realised that Sarracenias will rot if I stand them in water. Probably because of the amount of heat here in the region. So now, for both Helis and Sarras, I keep the media very loose.

Thanks, Peter. I'll be most glad if I can have cooler temperature here...and if I can get the plant growing for several months, I'll seriously consider taking leaf cuttings as a form of insurance against losing the entire plant. So far, the way to keep the roots cool is to water with refridgerated water on nights with temperatures into the 80s.

BTW, what is considered a mature pitcher for H. Tequila? How tall?

And does the pitcher and/or the spoon turn redder with more light?

I read that if the humidity is too low, the spoon won't form properly right?

Mine is about 7 inches or 15cm tall.
Yes, i think the spoon area would be more red if i gave it more light. Right now it is under a 2 tube 80 watt fixture. Really prefers more light i think.
I would guess that it would prefer hi humidity.
Peter.

I am not sure, but my mature pitchers are also around 15 cm right now. It would not surprise me if the pitchers get bigger in time. I have found that temperature, and feeding also contribute to the plant's reaction toward redness. Some of my older plants that were bright red may have adjusted to the conditions, like incresed light, because the red has faded back to a more green/greenish yellow. I think light is a bigger factor for nectar spoon development, but I am open to other opinions. Low humidity may also be a factor for poor nectar spoon development.

H. Tequila

Hey Dave,
This is my H. Tequila. The pitcher on the left has some cold damage. Now I pretty much keep it around 70 day, 50 night. Seems to be growing good. Going to up size it's pot I think pretty soon.
Does anyone know what this hybrid is?? I would really like to know.
Later.

dsc00384us4.jpg

That looks awesome Jeff! I think I read somewhere that people guessed H. pulchella x H. ionasii. I think at least one parent plant is correct.

Real nice lookin' plant Jeff! Looks like it's pretty big too.

a few years ago (2002ish) a drop of skim milk seemed to be all the rage for Heli's....
I see a lot of people mention fish food of one type or another these days. What are the current thoughts on this?

Was/is encouraging beneficial bacteria growth also part of reasoning behind using milk?

TIA,
Av

I think milk is used for the easy absorbtion of protein and calcium among other nutrients. I personally use fish food that is high in protein. To me, fish food seems to be the closest thing to an artificial insect. The supplementing can vary and be effective, but the trick is consistent feeding over time for many cps. I think it comes down to personal preference and a source of what is readily available.

REALLY? Fish Food? I never thought of feeding my heli, or any other cp fish food? Doesn't mold and/or fungus become a problem? How about detrimental effects on the plants health?

I'd LOVE to get one of these guys, but can't find online retailers :( Isn't this the only cultivar?

Back