What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceph cuttings updated.

• Thread starter JMatt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    ceph

JMatt

Stovepipe (The Beast) RIP My friend.
These are some of the cuttings I think I posted back in January.
Mostly pitcher cuttings, all Hummers Giants. No disasters as of yet.
JMatt

dsc00432sr8.jpg

dsc00386oc3.jpg

dsc00437my6.jpg

I forgot to update this little guy.
This Hummers Giant isn't looking too shabby considering it is growing in just clay pebbles.
JMatt

dsc00397wo7.jpg

omg!!! how the....... man!! this plant seriously seems to grow like weeds for you jmatt :D Insane plants. :D

I love the coloration on the hummers giant. Glad your cuttings are doing well. That's really cool. I am interested in seeing how the hummers giant does over a long time in the clay pellets.

xvart.

Beautiful & healthy lookin plants there Jeff! Looks like you get good seasonal variation having the Spring leaves an all.. Have you ever gotten any of the weird, in-between leaves?

Nice. I'm going to try a baby in some Profile pellets.

Can I ask how big/deep that pot with the clay pellets is, and how much water it's in?

Great job! And keep pulling leaves!

I think that pot is a 7 inch wide, and deep pot. I figured I didn't want to have to repot for a long time with this one. There is a float gauge that you monitor the water with. I think probably around an inch of water is in the outside pot when the inside pot is in it. Sounds like a lot of water, but pull the main pot out and you probably only have a half inch of water.
You always need water in there, the clay pebbles dry out quickly. It's a wick system.

Jmatt, growing them in clay pebbles just blew my mind! :0o:

I have this idea that CP needs low pH media...But anyway, I am going to try your idea of clay pebbles. A few questions then.
1. How large are these clay pebbles?
2. Was the plant already a good size when you potted it in clay pebbles? Or was it a cutting rooted in caly pebbles?
3. What is the relative humidity at where you grow your plants?

Jmatt, growing them in clay pebbles just blew my mind! :0o:

I have this idea that CP needs low pH media...But anyway, I am going to try your idea of clay pebbles. A few questions then.
1. How large are these clay pebbles?
2. Was the plant already a good size when you potted it in clay pebbles? Or was it a cutting rooted in caly pebbles?
3. What is the relative humidity at where you grow your plants?

These clay pebbles are called LECA.(Lightweight Expandable Clay Aggregate). It is clay that has been heated to 2600 degrees F.
LECA pebbles are chemically and biologically neutral. A sterile ceramic that will not compact, decompose, or harbor mold and disease. The size of the pebbles are 4-8mm. This stuff is used for a hydroponic grow system for orchids. I figured what the heck, I will try to grow a ceph hydroponicly. Not exactly your standard acid loveing carnivorous plant mix, but my ceph is growing. I started my cutting in live sphagnum moss. When it had a few inch long roots and maybe a small leaf or two I removed it from the sphagnum. I removed all of the moss so it was just the intact cutting and gentally potted it up. Being just a small cutting I keep a clear cover over the plant to increase humidity. If it gets bigger I will slowly remove it and let it adjust to the open air. The pebbles wick up the water and look damp all the time, but there is plenty of air to the roots. Seems to be working so far.

This was just a little experiment I felt like doing. I wouldn't recommend anybody tear up their prized cephalotus plant to try it! Cuttings maybe, but I still don't know what the end result will be with this? Maybe just a stunted little plant begging for peat? It is due for some kind of a feeding too. For now though it's alive, has pretty good color and is growing.
We'll see what happens.
JMatt

Thanks, Jmatt. I think great air circulation to Ceph roots are vital to good growth which could be why LECA is working well for you. The LECA we have here is about 10-15mm in size. Too large for the experiment.

Try Shultz profile. It's small like small perlite and inert. It's just aquatic plant media.

It's made from fullers earth clay. I planted some succulents in it and actually had to replant them because it wouldn't dry out fast enough.

Back