Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S. purp differences

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

S. purp differences

I've read enough about the difference between the nothern and southern purple pitchers, but I think I need to see it to truly grasp it. By any chance, does someone have a pic of the two varieties side-by-side?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a northern pitcher plant but I can show you my southern pitcher. Hope this helps a little

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I can tell, the only main difference that you will see is that the southern subspecies (ssp. venosa) will have quite a bit of short hairs on the outside of the pitcher, while the northern subspecies (ssp. purpurea) will not or will have very few. I suppose also the southern subspecies will have more squat pitchers, while the northern will have more elongated-ish pitchers.

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My venosa didn't have hairs on the outside of the pitchers. I don't know if it'll help, but here are sarracenia.com's pictures of pitchers: http://www.sarracenia.com/galleria/g251s.html
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my experience, S purpurea ssp. purpurea has a as Ben said more elongated pitchers, fewer peach fuzzy hairs, and grow a little more slowly. Whereas S. purpurea ssp. venosa has larger, more squat, and fuzzier pitchers. S. purpurea ssp. venosa var. burkii grows and looks almost exactly like S. purpurea ssp. venosa, but it gets much larger pitchers, pink flowers, and it grows a little bit slower.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    S,. rosea (I don't think it should be it's own species) has very short scapes as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I support either or, but i like to call it S. purpurea ssp. venosa var. burkii, because it has a long name.

Ryan + Sara
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty sure I have S. purpurea var. purpurea... brought back to health from a lowes cube of death.. Doesn't seem to be any hairs on the back of the pitcher.

Not entirely sure I agree with the slow growth of this plant though..
    This particular pitcher shot up in about 5 days and is the largest of 5 on the plant now.
    The rest does seem to be pretty slow growing though... perhaps it's just that one pitcher.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast