What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first Hummer

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
There comes a time in every boy's life when he gets his first Hummer. I got mine today :banana2:

DSC01808.jpg

DSC01807.jpg

DSC01811.jpg

I'd like to thank the man who gave me this Hummer at such a good price! I won't reveal his name, because I don't want everyone to bug him for cheap Hummers.

GIANT HUMMER! Ok, enough innuendo's. Sex..I mean SIX!!!(6) rosettes total, and after this pic was taken I managed to pluck 3 smaller rosettes from the larger plants since they were being smothered. I took 2 yellowed leaves as cuttings for good measure. Wish me luck! If the N. globosa behind it is any indication, then I have enough light lmao.

There comes a time in every boy's life when he gets his first Hummer. I got mine today :banana2:

LOL. Looks great. Don't forget to water this one!

xvart.

Oh no this one is in a tall pot in a tray. I don't take chances with cephalotus any more, especially not THIS clone.

nice man! speaking of cephs. the 3 you sent me... 1 died( i think it was crushed in shipping-smallest one) the other 2 are doing wonderfully and already have 3 newly opened pitchers. i think its a pretty quick grower.
Alex

Yes. Those were the last progeny of Big Mama whom I killed when I didn't water her :( Ahh oh well. Here are the three babes I seperated just now. I'm trying to trade all three for one adult typical ceph, since I don't have one of those.

DSC01821.jpg

I'm gonna get some Trichoderma in soon and that should help them along. I also turned the heater down at the expense of my lowlanders. Not it's 10 degrees give or take cooler at night and day (mid 80's day, mid 70's night).

That's cool!!!
I never realized how hard it was to get that cultivar

hey clint. you have any pictures of "Big Mama" :D id like to see what its gonna look like when it gets bigger. let Big Mama live!!!!!
Alex

Nope, she withered up and I threw her out. She was unsalvageable. I named her that because she shot out so many babies. That's actually the only tropical "iffy" plant I've moved outside in the summer and back inside in the winter without bad things happening.

but did you get pics before she died?
Alex

No unfortunately. It wasn't anything special , she just made lots of offshoots. Maybe it wasn't her but my conditions and if so then maybe this one will do it to.

I shouldn't anthropomorphize my plants. It's creepy.

How much gas does it eat?
wow, I'm good.

Be careful! I wouldn't trade off those little guys just yet.
When you see that the big plant is growing good and not declining then sure.
I just wouldn't jump too quick.
Once you get a Hummer you always want more:-))
JMatt

Nah, I'm going to let them recover.

And I don't think abcat got my jokes lmao.

Is that the name of the plant or what?

Lmao, Yeah you wouldn't believe the anticipation of posting these lmao!

I gotta Sarracenia 'Hummer's Hammerhead'. Say that fast three times without smiling and maybe your wish will come true.

I like the inuendo...and the plant. I received some Giant Hummer's from the man (Hummer) himself many years ago. I had to grow them indoors. Cephalotus really doesn't like it down here.

C'mon, fess up, man: the only reason you bought this plant was so you'd be able to post THIS LINE! :boogie: :boogie:

This whole thread reminds me of a good friend in highschool and his girlfriend...

xvart.

The National Anthem and the Deep in the Heart of Texas tunes have long been favorites of mine... or the shifting Motorcycle:bigthumpup:

That said, I'd probly grow the Ceph's in a seperate tank with Cool White Tubes. They like it cool and long term heat stresses them out.

Back