Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hybrids and Digestive Enzymes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hybrids and Digestive Enzymes

Okay, this one has been bugging me so much I had to crawl out of bed at 3 AM with strep throat to get it off my chest. Heres the question: Do hybrids containing S. purpurea not produce digestive enzymes since S. purpurea does not? For instance...

S. purpurea x flava, since S. purpurea is involved (and, in this case, the mother parent) does the plant not produce digestive enzymes? I know it doesn't really matter, but I am just curious. And for some reasons, plants that seem to 'do it on their own' are more favourable to me, since I see it is as the edwardsi or whatever they are called larvae don't live near me. My concern on this is that my S. courtii var. heterophylla has S. purpurea ssp. purpurea x S. psittacina in it, yet, can it digest it's own prey since S. psittacina can?

Thanks!

~NeciFiX
    - NeciFiX

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sarracenia purpurea and Darlingtonia californica rely on bacteria as well as other commensal organisms to aid in digestion.

The laws of genetics in a simple cross would predict roughly 25% of the offspring would have the traits of one parent, 25% the traits of the other parent and roughly 50% with traits of both parents.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *is a slow person* So, is that a yes?
    - NeciFiX

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember drawing out those Mendel boxes. It got tricky once you get into 10 x 10 diagrams.

I think that's a 25% hypothetical yes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    o_o... *strains insignificant brainpower and concentrates on the percents due to absolutely sucking at Math past 3rd grade* AH! But, only a 25% chance? Jeeze. Well, I guess my plant won't be digesting anything soon.
    - NeciFiX

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't matter really. I mean.. It's still carnivorous if that's what you are worried about. I'm sure it produces some enzymes.

Why digest something yourself if someone else will do it for you? That's kind of how S. purpurea is, if it could think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    S. purpurea does produce digestive enzymes...just such a small amount that it wouldnt make much of a difference.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know, but what if the certain Metricoanemous edwardsi or whatever it's called bacteria doesn't live near me to get inside the pitchers?
    - NeciFiX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast