Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Darlingtonia x Sarracenia?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's your problem dude? Everyone loves me. I'm the Pillman. What did I say to piss you off?

Stop having a boring tuna, stop having a boring life! neon-eon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, scientist are just begining to learn that classification isn't all that that simple...I mean ever since we discovered the kuiper belt we now know that the universe isn't as simple as a sun, a planet, and a moon...basically where I'm getting at is that the whole genus,species, sub-species thing probably has a lot more to it than we currently know. look at the venus fly trap and aldrovanda for example: I know they're both completley seperate genuses but look at how strikingly similar they are. There may possibly be two random genuses (spelling?) that could actually somehow intermix, but we may never find out... don't get your hopes up though, but hey, it's always worth a shot... I mean that's what science is right?
    -No matter what you do with your life, I still care about you. -Mr P.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Strange how some people accept the molecular studies that show the relationships in the family Drosceraceae but not the molecular studies that indicate Sarracenia rubra is a different species from S. purpurea ssp purpurea and ssp venosa.
    Hey Not,

I think you mean S. rosea :P S. rubra si so deffinitly a different species that no one ever thought it was in the purpurea group

The reason those people are so ready to grasp molecular studies for VFTs/Aldrovanda/Drosera is because we are mostly dealing with "groupers". They like to group things together. So of course any molecular data that makes a group is wanted while data the splits up a group is ignored.

IMO (not that you asked) I don't think S. rosea deserves full on species status but I would happily accept it as S. purpurea ssp. rosea.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah but it takes longer to type and say I agree though, it's cute but nothing special.

Neon, plants make intergeneric hybrids often. Orchids for example. Oh and it's genera not genuses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why doesn't anyone try Darlingtonia x Sarracenia or Aldrovanda x Dionaea and take one crop and put them in an Aldrovandaish water, some on wet soil, and different conditions between the two and see whatcha get!
    - NeciFiX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because it's not that simple. Plants have different chromosome numbers and just like humans when the chromosomes don't match and one is missing the fetus usually dies and there is a miscarriage , or the fetus dies before the woman misses her period so she never knew she was pregnant to begin with. On the flip side if a human fetus has an extra chromosome 21 chromosome for example, it would have down syndrome. You can't just go all willy-nilly and expect plants to make hybrids when the chromosomes don't match up. It's like a chemistry equation, things must be balanced. Plants have more chromosomes than humans sometimes so things become even more complicated. These scenarios are assuming fertilization even takes place.

That's exactly like saying "Let's cross a donkey and a lizard and take half of the babies and put them under a rock and the other half and put them on a farm and see what we get".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL.

Of course, I knew that, I was just testing you. *nods head like I actually know what anything is happening*
    - NeciFiX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In theory S. minor the the most 'primative' sarracenia species. And heliamphora could be a common ancestor to both.

Unfortunately, pollinating the flowers will just result in empty seedpods.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast